RSJ beam calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my integrated double garage to a kitchen dinner where I need to nock a wall and use rsj to support what the wall is supporting now. the wall supporting two uniform loads; the floor joist and a traditional masonry wall of 75mm cavity. the high of this wall is 2.45m . I called local structure engineer to do the calculation for me where he quote me £500 which I believe is expensive for straightforward calculations. the span is 5.25m.
any idea what size of RSJ I need.

Sponsored Links
A 10" x 6" will hold it.
Were using 10" x 6"s on 70' portal frame spans.

Sponsored Links
For that span and loading, you could use something like either a 203 x 203 x 46 with a 250 wide plate tack welded on top to support the width of the cavity wall; or alternatively two 203 x 133 x 30s.
To get an SE to do proper calcs for Building Control you need to be more specific in terms of what area of floor the beams will support, and what roof loads may be on the wall.

To get an SE to do proper calcs for Building Control you need to be more specific in terms of what area of floor the beams will support, and what roof loads may be on the wall.
Yes, if you can provide the SE with the necessary information on the structure they shouldn't charge £500 just for doing the calculations for one beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back