Fitting RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit 2 RSJ spanning a gap of 4.44 m. RSJ length calculated at 4.64 m. This allows 100mm to bear onto the brickwork.

The problem I have is that the two supporting walls are double skin without cavities. This leaves now additional gap to allow the RSJ to fit.

Next door will not be happy if I knock through to gain access. Also the Mrs will be ****ed if I knocked through to the adjoining room.

Would it be best to build a small 100mm medium density block work pillar, on one side. This would to allow 100mm to seat on the pillar and 100mm inside the other wall. New RSJ Length 4.54m

Sponsored Links
SE drawings do not identify this factor. Design member bearing length -100mm.
Allowable padstone stress = 1.4MPa 3.6 N Blockwork

A pier would need to be properly bonded into the wall and may need its own [extra] foundation. So is this feasible, or practical or even desirable?

Bite the bullet and make the hole bigger on your wall to enable the beams to go in with no piers, IMO

Sponsored Links
Hi Angler,

I've been reading your post as I will soon be doing something similar, but a little surprised by your solution. Are you saying that a steel beam roughly 4.5m is only sitting on the single brick (your side of a party wall with neighbours) with no pillar or anything else?

I'm a little surprised that this is enough? I'll be using the steel beam for a rear extension breakthrough, so it will essentially be supporting the end of the house.

No doubt the structural engineer will advise when I get around to it.

As per my SE

A minimum of 100mm bearing should be given to the beams at both ends. The beams
can bear onto the existing (sound) masonry walls, be they block or brick. If you
wish to provide padstones, all well and good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back