Length of RSJ's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am placing an RSJ on two pillers, both pillars are in the middle of SINGLE SKIN walls. The length of the RSJ does not stretch from one wall end to the other but will easily sit on at least 160mm on each pillar...is that sufficient or does the RSJ need to stretch from one wall end to the other?
FYI, the wall widths are 140mm each and the pillars are 300mm square.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you ask the guy that designed the beam and pier?

The questions a designer may ask are;

Are the pier foundations adequate?

Is the crushing strength of the masonry adequate or do i need pad-stones etc.

What size section and design section of beam (i.e. u beam, channel, box etc) would be best suited?

What surface area shall be imparted on the loading pad?

How will the beam react/deflect?

What is the load?

Blah, blah blah.

More info please?

If I could get a hold of either of those I would, that is why I am using this forum!

Yea noseall he wants his answers right now, you're getting too big for your boots! Its not like he's paying for your time is it? :p

And he didn't even bother to provide a bit more info as requested! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am placing an RSJ on two pillers
Is this for the garage as mentioned in other threads?

If so, it would make more sense to put all of your questions in the same discussion, rather than making several apparently unrelated questions.

More info:-

FYI, the wall widths are 140mm each and the pillars are 300mm square and are adequate to support the RSJ. The RSJ is 203x203x46kg/m. The RSJ is only supporting the roof which is at the same horizontal span as the RSJ, the roof weight being no heavier than 700Kg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back