RSJ advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some help / advice please. Im removing a wall that links my living room to my garage. Im looking at making my lounge bigger. The wall supports the floor joists upstairs so it is load bearing. Im having the calculations done soon on what size RSJ ill need. On the left side of the existing wall ill be leaving a 3ft pillar for the RSJ to sit on. The other end is the front of the house so a cavity wall. I really do not want a 6" pillar sticking out from the flush internal wall. Can the RSJ sit into the cavity wall if its on a Padstone?

Thank you, Hope the picture helps.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can -100mm is acceptable as a bearing for a beam

Allbeit the beam spec/design will need to be altered to accept your chosen design constraint

I take it that the wall in question is at the back of the sofa and adjacent to the window opening?

Without knowing the design of your house, there doesn't appear to be a lot of 'meat' left once all the masonry is removed. Is the garage door opening on t'uther side also?

Yep the wall behind the sofa is coming down. The garage door is on the front of the property next to the window. There is approx 2m between the garage door and the living room window. There is not wall above sat on the wall to be removed. Only floor joists upstairs. The builder has said he needs to keep 6" of the wall minimum each side for the RSJ to sit on for it to meet building regs. But we really do not want a pillar sticking out at the window end.

Sponsored Links
[quote="DanMasey01";p="2706388"The builder has said he needs to keep 6" of the wall minimum each side for the RSJ to sit on for it to meet building regs.[/quote]

No. With a little extra time on the calcs, it's usually possible to prove that the wall can be cut flush. Speak with your SE.

Bristol city council have said it is possible to have the RSJ into the cavity wall if the SE allows this in his calculations. Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back