rsj's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently trying to extend 2 rsj's which are supporting my joists in a old terraced house. I have exposed the beams and want to know if it is possible to extend them so they sit on existing internal wall which is close on to 100 years old. At the moment they sit onto a newly built pillar which takes up about 3ft by 1ft in the lounge (space which we really need). If it is possible how do you bolt more steel to the ends of the existing rsj's to make them about another foot longer.

Sponsored Links
hire a mobile welder me thinks. he will need some plate steel to strengthen the join though.

It's possible, but you will have to get the connection detail designed by a suitably comptetent person - avoiding any guessing and possible failure of the joint

Sponsored Links
You should seek professional advice the new pier may be there as a stability feature of the overall building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back