Drilling RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an RSJ that needs to be drilled so that a pipe can pass through it, hole size 65mm.

RSJ is an 'I' shape 185mm height, 100mm width and the span is 4.7 metres.

The proposed drilling posiition is within 0.5 metres of the start of the span , against the wall where it rest on the stone.

Edit: Just to add, I need to drill it out close to the top of the beam, obviously into the vertical section of the beam still

Sponsored Links
use a drill bit of around 3mm to get a pilot hole then enlarge it to the diameter of a cutters guide and use a cutter about 10mm larger than the hole required, this will allow enough space for a sleeve between the steel and the pipe.
try machinemart for a suitable cutter

Hi Kevindgas.

I don't have a problem drilling through the joist, just whether it should be done

You can drill/cut through the web but it should be in the centre. you will reduce the load bearing capacity of the RSJ if you cut too large a hole or near the top/bottom cord, it may then be outside of it's design load.

Sponsored Links
Cheers ajstone, it is what I expected, I can try to keep teh hole as close as possible to the centre and I am assuming that becasue the hole will be near the wall this is better.

I would be keen to know if there is some sort of chart that tells you hole sizes allowed , postions etc, similar to the Timber joist tables.

You're absolutely right.

Any future posts and I will post them to you first, get them signed....in triplicate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back