engineer has specified RSJ wider than wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The structural engineer has specified an RSJ 3.6m long, 203mm tall and 133mm wide.

It's supporting an internal single skin supporting wall. The width of the brick is obviously 100mm therefore the RSJ is wider, the padstone is detailed at 102mm also. I have queried this with him and he has confirmed that this still stands, he said the beam needs to be that size for the load/ span.

This just doesn't sound right to me as the beam is wider than the padstone it is bearing on and the wall by 33mm?

Also when I come to make good with plasterboard this is going to project even further than the finished wall plaster skim?

Should I just follow what the SE has said. I'm worried BC will not like it

Sponsored Links
The fact that the beam is wider than the padstone is irrelevant in structural terms, though it requires battening-out for the plasterwork.

Has your SE considered other sections, such as box sections or 2 channels bolted back-to-back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back