RSJ, padstone and mortar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry if this is answered anywhere else but I looked for several posts and could never tell if people were talking about the point I'll describe as, at bottom of RSJ/ top of padstone, or at the point I'll describe as bottom of padstone/brick wall below.

I just want to know is it standard practice for there to be a bed of mortar on the bottom RSJ/top of padstone i.e. should the RSJ be bedded onto mortar (strong mix) on top of padstone or should the bottom of RSJ sit directly onto the top of the padstone surface?

I would have thought for the strucutral design of a padstone that the engineer designs the load to spread directly through steel onto padstone without mortar?

Thanks in advance.

Bonce

Sponsored Links
We usually sit them dry or pack up using say metal shims, cement fibre slates, quarry tiles, or even a granno slab. If these packers are not sitting entirely flat then we may smear them into some strong mortar.

Otherwise sit the steel straight onto the padstone, i.e. dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back