Fixing an rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Can anyone tell me if an rsj has to be mortar bedded onto a padstone or does it just sit on the stones with any gap taken up by packers?

If it is packers will steel packing pieces (which I have easy access to being a metalworker) be ok or is some other material normally used to pack the underside of a rsj?

Also does an rsj need to be fixed to the padstone, or is the weight bearing down on it enough to prevent sideways movement?

The rsj I'm fitting is 2.8-metres long & is a 152x89 with 150 bearing onto each padstone. The opening is 2.5m wide that it bridges & is in an internal wall.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
steel packers will do fine no need to fix down just restrain the beam by bricking up around it

The main consideration is that the bearing is fully supported.

So if the padstone is smooth and level, then plonk it straight on. If there are any major gaps, then fill with a bit of mortar or neat cement grout.

Only pack it it needs lifting.

Its held by friction - on the padstone and by the load above. No fixing to the padstone

as woody said, packing can be done with any dense material.

quarry tiles, cement slates, real slate, concrete slab (non riven-non coloured), steel shims, etc.

padstones can be cast-in-situ concrete, p.c.c. lintels, kerbstones, purpose made padstones, etc.

Sponsored Links
That's great lads, thanks a lot for the advice. :D
The distance between the upstairs floor joists & the padstones is 172 mm, my beam is 152 high, so I need 20 mm of packing. Steel shims it is then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back