RSJ install. Best way to go around it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to remove my load bearing wall. Ive got most points covered and some of you have already helped me clear a few things up.

Id just like to ask a few more questions to make sure I do it in the right process. Ive read the general way to go about it but would think every jobs a bit different and might take a slightly different approach.

Here is the wall in question

Its a single skin load bearing wall in the center of the house.

Im going to uses acro props and boards on both sides of the wall onto the flooring joists.

Remove the skirting upstairs to check the bricks are sitting ontop of the joists and if there not use wooden wedges to take up any gaps.

Ok my questions are.

How close do you have to get the padstone to the RSJ to leave room for shimming. The reason I ask is because Ive got to put a half rip of bricks under my padstones so ideally Id like to.

Remove my wall. Jack the RSJ up into place tight against the flooring joists and then install my half row of bricks and padstone. This way I can be confident where my RSJ will sit instead of trying to bed my padstone in and end up with an 1 inch gap or not enough room to install my RSJ.

The only problem I can see with this is getting a decent bed of mortar under the padstone without pushing it out when I try to install it.

The 2nd question I have got is would it be a good idea to add a bed of mortar ontop of my RSJ before I jack it up tight up against my joists and remaining brickwork. The idea been that this would fill in some of the gaps between the RSJ and original bricks. Rather than trying to poke mortar in after. The joists themselves will be sitting directly ontop of the RSJ

3rd question is do i have to use a special mix of mortar.

4th No mortar goes between the padstone and RSJ. Just tap in shims ( 150mm long shims so the RSJ is spreading the load of the correct amount of the bearing.

Id be grateful if anyone could answer any of the questions for me
:D

Sponsored Links
also what stops the bricks inbetween the joists falling out when I first remove the rest of the wall below it :confused:

Sponsored Links
right ok lets have a crack here

first off you need more acros then that an scaff boards along the joists to help span the load. Whats the other side of the wall??

you can use steel needles throw the wall to help pick up the load or strongboys.

as for the pad stones you need to get this part right over everything else
whats the span an size of the steel an pad stones?

your need to cut out hole for the steel to sit in an the pad stone to be set ((remember to try an keep the pad stone flush with the brickwork))

As for setting the pad id set the pads in level the day before let then (green off) part set even use rapid sett if you wanted.
as for knocking down the old wall id start at the top try to leave in as much as you can over the new steel like the joist packers ect if they come out then no biggy.
set in your props nice a firm even screwing the tops in place an or the bottoms to the floor dont want any rubble moving a prop.
We tie our props with scaffold doubles an a tube near the top an have had to hilti gun the bottoms before..
after its all cleared away ect make shore you have some slate or steel packers to hand an good bunch of mates to help....

setting the steel isnt that hard some times its more a pig getting it in place round the props in the first place LOL
soon at the steel is in place resting on the pads start filling the (head) of the steel with a 5/1 mortar mix sharp sand is more better for compacting
use props to start to raise the steel in place 2/3 props working them up at the same time keep checking with laser or level..
after it in plce start knocking in slate shims into the mortar mix an filling the gap under the steel on top of the pad with muck an slate or steel shims use slate most the time.
start filling in any gaps or missing brickwork round the joists an shims under that isnt sitting on the steel yet

hope that helped

sorry use props both sides of the wall to help pick up the load an span an lay boards down on the floor first an stand props on them to settle the load even if its a concrete floor dont matter you can even use box steel needles if you wanted to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back