RSJs etc for fitting windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to add windows where the white lines are on the image.
Does this seem ok?

RSJs or lintels will be necessary. Are calculations needed for planning permission?

Cheers, Camerart
Window.jpg

Sponsored Links
Planning Permission and Building Regulations Approval are two very different things, suggest you do a little research ti inform yourself. Note it is ultimately the owners (not the builders) responsibility to ensure compliance is met. Planning is very unlikely necessary, it definitely need Building Regs Approval as you're what you want to do affects the structure and it's new glazing. To meet Building Regs and avoid having calculations done you need a minimum of 665mm brickwork at any external corners which might scupper things. It's possible Building Control will let you go a bit smaller without calcs. It won't help that you want another window on the side as close to the corner too.

665.jpg

Planning Permission and Building Regulations Approval are two very different things, suggest you do a little research ti inform yourself. Note it is ultimately the owners (not the builders) responsibility to ensure compliance is met. Planning is very unlikely necessary, it definitely need Building Regs Approval as you're what you want to do affects the structure and it's new glazing. To meet Building Regs and avoid having calculations done you need a minimum of 665mm brickwork at any external corners which might scupper things. It's possible Building Control will let you go a bit smaller without calcs. It won't help that you want another window on the side as close to the corner too.
Hi F,
I've done this sort of thing before, but it was ages ago. I'll soon get back into it, I hope.

665mm will make the window edge the other side of the downpipe., which is quite a lot bitten off. Do you think this applies, even though it's quite a low building?
Thanks.
C

Sponsored Links
Hi F,
I've done this sort of thing before, but it was ages ago. I'll soon get back into it, I hope.

665mm will make the window edge the other side of the downpipe., which is quite a lot bitten off. Do you think this applies, even though it's quite a low building?
Thanks.
C
Of course it does, those regs/figures are specifically written for small buildings ie houses. There will always be solutions to get round it but are likely more costly. Is the wall two bricks thick, doesn't look like it can be a cavity wall?
@tony1851
@RonnyRaygun

You'd probably get away with one of those only being 300mm or so from the corner but unlikely on both.
I'd suggest you stick your Building Notice in and have a chat with the bco. The figures in the Approved Docs are really useful (if you follow the ADs then your job will be deemed to comply) but they aren't the only method available.
On an aesthetic point, are you sure you want that massive picture window overlooking a shed and allowing a splendid view of whovever is sat on the porcelain throne?
Plus you may have to look at some internal insulation to compensate for the heatloss from the new windows (depends what you are planning on doing internally).

Hi,
Previously, I re-built a house (8 years of *!??%£*), and swore 'never again', and here we are again. I had regulations, and as it was listed, so 3x different officers, to keep happy. I had put it so far out of my mind, that I now have to remember all of the details.

The shed, (and toilet) will be moved :)

The wall at that area is single 9", and I plan to add inside insulation on it. I was going to have it re-built, as a cavity, but the insulation idea, seems a better one, and takes up the same space.

Thanks,
C

Recently come across this issue at a mate's house.
As he's building an extension with a section holding French doors that protrudes from the extension. Mate wanted to have one brick wide corner.
I mentioned didn't think it was possible due to regs/stability etc.

He had got a SE on-board to look at some other extension elements, and we casually mentioned these 'corners' whilst discussing other items... he said most things are possible, but that it would need some calculations that can prove to the council that it's ok.
Wind posts were mentioned (he's got a cavity), at which point my mate was sensing increased costs etc and decided to stick to 665mm for an easy ride.

Recently come across this issue at a mate's house.
As he's building an extension with a section holding French doors that protrudes from the extension. Mate wanted to have one brick wide corner.
I mentioned didn't think it was possible due to regs/stability etc.

He had got a SE on-board to look at some other extension elements, and we casually mentioned these 'corners' whilst discussing other items... he said most things are possible, but that it would need some calculations that can prove to the council that it's ok.
Wind posts were mentioned (he's got a cavity), at which point my mate was sensing increased costs etc and decided to stick to 665mm for an easy ride.
Hi Mr C,
I'll have to read the regulations lots of times, to find the best way forward, but I just looked and found this, which looks encouraging. I think it's best to be pretty well 'armed' before going to the authorities.

Previously, I had an open beam in my living room 4.75Mtrs, which didn't pass the fire regulations, and he asked me to put a post in the middle. It took me a year to think of a solution! I got a 'calculated' RSJ fitted it at 90° to it, from the chimney breast to a post in the wall opposite, and fitted above the ceiling, which held everything above up above it, in case of fire, so no post :)
C

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 31
Will you be internally insulating your solid walls when you done with your mods?

Looking at your photo, could you not make the corner a pier that ranges from the window on RHS, two brick by two brick?

Will you be internally insulating your solid walls when you done with your mods?

Looking at your photo, could you not make the corner a pier that ranges from the window on RHS, two brick by two brick?
Hi Mr C,
I think a pier would need footings, which I hope to avoid.

Yes, I'll insulate, as this corner of the house is north facing and cold.
C

Not that I know anything, but as it appears that the right hand window is fitted into a bricked up doorway, there isn't a lot currently tieing those two walls together (there may already be some patching mortar repair above the lintel? - it could be a camera aberration, but do things look a bit 'bulgy' around there?).

As above, I think I would have a pier.

Not that I know anything, but as it appears that the right hand window is fitted into a bricked up doorway, there isn't a lot currently tieing those two walls together (there may already be some patching mortar repair above the lintel? - it could be a camera aberration, but do things look a bit 'bulgy' around there?).

As above, I think I would have a pier.
Hi R,
There are 'tiying' brick in pairs each side.

As mentioned, a pier, would need different footings.
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back