rubi 1200mm manual tile cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to hire a rubi 1200 manual tile cutter. I need to cut some 1200 x 600 porcelain tiles. They are 10mm thick. Can someone tell me if this equipment will be up to the job. I intend to but a new cutting wheel when I hire it.

Sponsored Links
It depends on how many & how complicated the cuts are.

Snap cutters will cut porcelain but wet cutters make the job so much easier.
The hire shop will provide new wheels on a not used return basis. They should also advise on how to use their eqpt.

Thanks for the reply. I would rather use a wet cutter. I have one but it is not up to this task. I could not find a hire shop with a wet cutter big enough to cut the tiles on 1200mm length. I will have a word with the hire company.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Why will the "job take forever with a wet cutter"?

What job?
Where's it located?
How many pieces?
How many cuts, and how awkward are the cuts?

We dont know?

Snap cutters on some porcelain's in the hands of a DIY'er could easily cause chipping.

Hi thanks for the replies. The dry cutter laughed at me when I attempted to cut these tiles. I even had a tiler in my local tile shop have a go at one of the off cuts and he could not cut it. Purchased a wet rubi cutter but found that the blade it came with just chipped the tiles. I bought a 60 pound diamond cutting blade and it worked a treat. I also had to cut slots in the fence on the wet cutter to get the cuts straight as it did not come set up and when I attempted to adjust the fence it only moved about 1mm, with the slots cut I could adjust the position and get the cutting line straight. Got my money back on the hire of the dry cutter though. Spoke to the company that I got the tiles from and they said that you could not cut the tiles with a dry cutter. Lesson learnt..... Ask first and get the correct equipment. Thanks again....

Good - I'm glad things worked out for you.
You did just as any tradesperson would have done - when you encountered a difficulty you dealt with it on the run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back