Rules about Glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got to buy a glazed window. Dimensions: 147 - height and 145 width approx. I would like two panes to open outside without the middle post.

So far I have been told it's impossible. Could you pls advise if you know differently.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
ive fitted them, they have a master and a slave 'door' with a middle profile screwed to one side that opens with the second sash

ap0ologies about the wrong bit of the forum.

direct me pls to the correct bit as I am new to the site.

to the other poster... I am not installing a sash, just looking to install a hinged window with the 2 halves opening outwards leaving no central post when opened.

Sponsored Links
It would effectively be a miniture pair of french doors, any fabricator would make them, my sister had some made a year ago to fit in a rear dormer as a means of fire escape as the opening would of been too small for conventional egress hinges

Martindales trade frames in Bolton, or sterling upvc in Warrington, they both do them, martindales are better quality though, even tho it's the same profile, bit dearer too

I am based in South East London. Anybody in London who can do this? I need a Fenstra registered person to pass council building regs as this is part that is being supervised for all bits and pieces.

They call them a flying mullion window.
I'm suprized any company would say it cant be done. I fit them all the time, I did one yesterday.
Although the minimum width on one is normally about 900mm.

Thank you v. much. It's very useful. There 's at least a name now that I can use to describe what I want.

I was told that the window with these dimensions is too heavy and I would have to have three parts. Is that true?

Could I have 3 set of hinges per window pane if they are too heavy?.

Ah yes sorry just looked back at the sizes you posted.

The width would be ok just about but the height is probably too much 1200mm is normally max for a side hung sash as the hinges are not man enough.

I believe there are now some much stronger hinges on the market due to the increase in triple glazing but finding someone who knows if they would be upto the job will be tricky.

Have you looked into or considered bi-folding windows?

no idea what they are but will look into it. Like the mullion flying one, though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back