Runabout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spring of next year I shall be in the market for a cheap (ie max £3k) car to use as a runabout on local journeys, retaining my classic BM for longer runs.

For the benefit of 'ere indoors it needs to be economical, low VED rated, automatic & PAS. The last requirement is my biggest concern as I want to avoid the more modern offerings such as DSG, Dura-shift etc. so are there any makes/models out there that still have a 'proper' auto-box ie with a torque converter ?

For my benefit, as the one that has to pay (I don't work on cars these days) to keep the thing on the road, it needs to be petrol & at least decently reliable .. so I guess Japanese ?
ULEZ exemption is not a major issue.

Many thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Ford fusion?
I don’t think you’ll find anything 'economical' (fuel wise) if it’s auto and used for local journeys though.

Ford fusion?
I don’t think you’ll find anything 'economical' (fuel wise) if it’s auto and used for local journeys though.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
Ford Fusion? isn't that a Dura-**** 'box?

As for short run economy, I think she could do better than the 18mpg from my old 523i auto :oops:

Ford Fusion? isn't that a Dura-**** 'box?
It’s a Fiesta with a taller roof. 1400 or 1600 Zetec petrol engine. All the oldies love them - easy to get in and out of and good all round vision.

Sponsored Links
Get the cheapest you can get on gumtree with 12 months mot.
Then after the 12 months, if it doesn't pass mot, scrap it.
I did this because of the khant tax and got myself a £500 focus.
But I seem to have struck luck because after a good clean, the car looks decent and runs very smoothly.
I'd never spend more than £1000 on a runaround.

Nissan Note
Renault Clio
Kia or Hyundai Ceed/i30, Rio/i20 or Picanto/i10.
Honda Jazz - These may be CVT? but is a Honda
Toyota Yaris - Pre 2005 has TC. We had one. Great car. Post 2005 has an automated manual (Multimode) and not reliable or nice to use.

It’s a Fiesta with a taller roof. 1400 or 1600 Zetec petrol engine. All the oldies love them - easy to get in and out of and good all round vision.
And the 'box ? Need an auto as my other half has a shoulder problem, so regular gear shifting is not an option. We've run autos for decades, but they were all good 'ole fashioned TC driven .. don't fancy these automated manual things & the only time I rode passenger in an CVT I thought it was ghastly (n)

First choice if Madam had her way would be a Mini One, but I've heard/read & been advised by our local workshop that general reliability is not good. The auto is described as Steptronic, which my E39 has & it's brilliant, but is the Mini version the same?

I've always been puzzled by the fact that BMW make the car, but use PSA sourced engines :unsure:

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend more than a grand on a runabout . The VED on older motors though is crazy. However the early Yaris is a brilliant car of you can find s rust free one. Mileage isn't an issue. I currently running a 64k immaculate 2003 1.2 Vauxhall Agila. Full service history with Aircon. I paid £600. You can find its almost twin Suzuki Wagon who did a lot of auto's.

Sponsored Links