Running a 4 kW motor

Sponsored Links
If the motor is designed to operate at 400v (star) and the star point is available in the termination head then it is capable of being configured to operate from a 230v, 3-phase inverter (since all three winding ends are available) when reconfigured to a delta format.

Edited to remove remove previous incorrect statement

Last edited:
So where were they used "before the inverter "came into being""?

Where had/has a 133/230V supply?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but what that thread tells me is that 133/230 is very rare and getting rarer. I cannot see how there would ever have been a big enough market for 230V 3P motors for manufacturers to bother, or if they once did, why they are still.

Was there a big market in Menorca for 230V 3-phase motors?

This is what I'm struggling with - the idea that there were enough people with 133/230V supplies to make it worthwhile to build so many motors that it then became worthwhile to make 230V 3P inverters.

In the US there is apparently a few different 3 phase ratings, but 230ish seems to be quite common. I’d imagine that would be a big enough market for them. Particularly as they are for the smaller stuff.

Think this thread has kind of lost track of the OPs original enquiry.
I'm sure if BAS were to contact the IET they could give him a run-down on small 3-ph motor winding details for the past 50 years or so.

I'm sure they could.

I was (and still am) surprised to find that 133/230V is widespread enough worldwide for motors to have been made for it, and then later single to 3-phase converters made to mimic it. In all my years of specifying cables, PDUs, power supplies etc for IT equipment for installation in all sorts of countries it was not a voltage I ever came across.

Looking into pricing up the two paths I have, getting a 230/400 3 phase for around £200 and another £200 at least for the inverter drive, with the benefit of good speed control etc, or an equivalent single phase motor for around £300, with the correct breaker and cable ( which would need to go in anyway)

Having had the electricians putting in new wiring to the kitchen, they are coming back to put in 10mm2 cable in the new year, and it’s only a run of around 4 meters maximum.

I’m inclined to go the single phase route now.

I wouldn't advise going SP jsut to save £100. A 4kw SP induction motor is likely to cause voltage sags when it starts, and the DNO may well tell you thats unacceptable on a domestic supply, It'd also need to be on a C type breaker at least (which might not be available for whatever domestic board you have)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back