Running a cable to a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I bought a house that has a shed wired to the house mains about 9 metres from the house.

The cable is running along the flower beds and doesn't seem safe so I've had three electrician's to quote for the job.

Each of them has recommended running the cabling along the fence that separates our neighbours garden. I think this is pretty dangerous, what if our daughter or her friends cutt he cable with a garden shears or similar. Or if the neighbour decides to try cutting through the fence, (it's falling apart).

Is it not better to bury the cables in some type of shielded conduit?

Thanks,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Fences are considered temporary structures and as such shouldn't have cables fixed to them.

There's also the issue of who owns the fence, and the fence construction (as in a concrete posted and concrete slated fence might be acceptable for cable fixing.

The best way is to use swa (steel wired armoured) cable and bury it to a deth of two feet below the beds. If you want to be able to replace the cable in 30 years then run it inside a suitable duct.

If its protected in the house (ELCB/RCCB or the like) it will be safe. But, I'd say if you put the duct/conduit pipe in, they will wire through? Some electricians seem eager to get finished, even before they start.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

There are two existing cables. One runs behind the rose bush, along a fence and then is tacked to the side of the shed.

The second disappears into the ground before the rose bush and probably reappears in the shed.

Neither are amoured. :oops:

What type are they? SWA / twin and earth / what's the sheath colour?

Have you a camera and the ability to post pictures?

More accurately it will be LESS UN_SAFE

Yes, good point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back