How deep should SWA be buried.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to run a lenght of SWA across my garden to provide power in my shed. I'm having a new fence erected and I would like to bury the cable as close as possible along the line of the fence, then turn 90 degrees to run under the deck to the shed.
Should the cable also be further protected by a conduit?
Thank you for your response.

Sponsored Links
I believe the answer is 450mm (18") with tape over the top no further protection required.

522-06-03 "buried cables shall be marked by cable covers or a suitable marking tape. ... buried cables ... shall be at sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonable foreseeable disturbance of the ground"

IEE Guidance Note One states "A depth of burial less than 500mm is usually inadvisable as shallow laid cables may be inadvertently damaged"

I was always told min of 600mm with 100mm of red sand on top then warning tape then backfill.

Sponsored Links
thomsk is absolutely right, the accepted safe depth is 600mm for non agricultural ground but the marker tape should be placed after a 300mm backfill which is a normal spit or length of a spade or fork the idea being that the marker tape shows in good time

For what it costs, it is a good idea to install a duct.

You never know what the future holds. You may have to replace the cable for one reason or another, and a duct will save having to dig up the garden again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back