ok to cilp SWA to fence in garden?

Clipping swa to a sound fence is not unsafe,

There are other issues, regarding, Why 2.5mm,length and where at each end will it terminate.

Sponsored Links
noone has yet said what is unsafe about it.

Fences fall over!

So do houses, given enough time! If the fence is secure, permanent, and in a good state of repair, then I don't have any problem with clipping a cable to it.

That said, if you were thinking of clipping direct to removable fence panels, I wouldn't advise it.

ok, main reasons..

fences fall over or are blown over
you'd need to mount it at a height that it is unlikely to get damaged, so a couple of feet up to avoid the strimmer, lawnmower, pets, kids etc
unless it's a decent fence with rails then it's unlikely to be thick enough to take a screw for the cleats at regular intervals.

Sponsored Links
I attached lengths of 2x1 roofing lath 2 foot up from the bottom of the concrete posts running the total length of the fence, then clipped the swa to that using cleats.

Don't know/care if it meets current regs, it does the job and seems more than secure to me.

I attached lengths of 2x1 roofing lath 2 foot up from the bottom of the concrete posts running the total length of the fence, then clipped the swa to that using cleats.

Don't know/care if it meets current regs, it does the job and seems more than secure to me.

Sounds good Cortina, a sensible and safe way of doing a simple job.

Thanks for your responses, but just to be clear, do the regs allow clipping SWA exposed, above ground, to a wall/fence, or does it have to be buried?

Thanks for your responses, but just to be clear, do the regs allow clipping SWA exposed, above ground, to a wall/fence, or does it have to be buried?

Yes, the regs allow SWA to be exposed. It's tough stuff!

As long as your fence it strong and you use proper cable cleats screwed in to substantial parts of the fence then it is fine. (Secure the cable very securely to the house and shed, so that in the highly-unlikely event that the fence falls over it won't pull the cable/gland out of it's termination.

Fence fix of cable is poor, fencing tends to be considered a non permanent structure, Even if the fence is solid, how can anyone really know how many years the wood will remain a suitable structure to fix to due to weathering- wind, rain, uv etc.

Without look at the book how would you support the cable every 400mm or so along the cable run ?

As a minimum I'd suggest you provide externally treated wood batons and fix those to the fence posts and a few intermediary points between the panels. Then fix the cable to the baton every 400mm along the complete length.

I'd also design in strain loops, so if the panels to get blown down the loops take up the required slack to allow no strain on the cable cause by the fence panels being pulled off.

On the load / design side what is the end to end cable run length and what are your expectations for load on the cable ?

2.5mm SWA on a short run will top out at 20 amp, longer run 16 amp.

16 amp x 230v = about 3700w

My reading of the regs is that they permit SWA to be clipped to a permanent fence (whatever that means :) ), and it's fine to bury it 500mm below ground, but not bury it 50mm below ground. This might seem strange at first, but then on further consideration it does make sense.....

Fence fix of cable is poor, fencing tends to be considered a non permanent structure, Even if the fence is solid, how can anyone really know how many years the wood will remain a suitable structure to fix to due to weathering- wind, rain, uv etc.

And yet it's OK for us to have electricity and clipped cables in wooden sheds, summer houses, etc. How odd.

Without look at the book how would you support the cable every 400mm or so along the cable run ?

Like that perhaps?

I'd also design in strain loops, so if the panels to get blown down the loops take up the required slack to allow no strain on the cable cause by the fence panels being pulled off.

Not necessary if you don't attach directly to the panels, which, unless they are unusually well constructed, you wouldn't do anyway.

I'm not sure why, but it really gets my goat whenever anyone asks "can I attach X cable to my fence?" and the answer is always a definitive no. It simply isn't true.

I realise most electricians are incapable of thinking for themselves and just learn regs by rote,
Not a great way to endear your self to people who you hope to get advice from
but maybe you could stretch yourselves to giving more inteligent answers than 'no' or 'because it's crap'.
Why do you think it is ok? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Nobody here can see the fence you are talking about. If you had any relevant experience, you'd be able to work it out for yourself. - BTW, you spelt intelligent wrong.
Why is it crap? Maybe i'm wrong, but ithought SWA is impervious to the weather and inherently strong, so what is the problem? The wood and concrete fence is strong. It is difficult to see how it could be damaged if it is above the ground. If it was somehow damaged the combination of earthed sheath and RCD would make it impossible for there to be a safety issue.
well, if you are doing this work, then you would know about the requirement to certificate and notify this work as appropriate, wouldn't you? Therefore, as YOU are going to certify that the work is 'in accordance with the regs' YOUR reasons are enough to defend YOUR design, YOUR construction and YOUR inspection/results etc
At the moment my friend (who's house and shed it is) is using a 13 amp extension. Why should he waste time and money buring cables if it is not neccessary?
depends on whether your friend would be happy with a fugly black cable strewn along his fence panels. Me, for one, wouldn't like that, but i can't comment on your friends taste, but he does have you as a friend??? so who knows?
I realise a lot of the regs are bulls**t and just part of a money-go-round that pays for a whole industry of re-training, and testing and certification. I know we have no real choice but to follow the regs.
Since you 'realise' that the regs are BS (as opposed to 'think' or 'believe' or 'have an opinion') why not be happy with your view point and just lash anything in the way you originally suggested? Its not the forum contributors who will carry the can for a rough-as-a-badgers install - its YOU!

T+E, singles, bits of old fuse wire wrapped in sellotape - who gives a monkeys?

Do want you want, can't see it from my house ;) :D

hehe, 6ft high panels, cable clipped halfway up, so approx 8 n half ft extra cable per fence panel for strain relief. That'll look lovely :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back