ok to cilp SWA to fence in garden?

in practice the swa would probably hold such a fence panel up instead of the other way round.

Sponsored Links
I realise most electricians are incapable of thinking for themselves

That is just not true. The majority of sparks (I am not one) on this forum will give you good sound advice.

It's just that a few (a small minority) (mostly one) don't know any beter.

BAS is not an electrician.

To the OP, As you have found out if the fence is up to the job and the cable adequately secured then it can be cleated to the fence however there are multitude other considerations (such as the required design current and voltage drop to consider before you can decide on cable size). But hey seeing as you think it's all just a big money-go-round and electricians can't think for themselves then why should we bother helping you further.

EDIT: corrected spelling

Would you consider we have moved on from the electrical standards presented to us in 1966?

You would? OK.

The 14th says:

B126 Consumers' wiring intended for operation at low....voltage.......for distribution between a building and.......another building, shall be in the form of one or more of the following systems. Such wiring shall not be installed on fences.

(i) Heavy-gauge galvanized steel conduit...

(ii) MICS cables...

(iii) Armoured and served cables...

(iv) Lead-sheathed cables.

Note that all live conductors in the cables mentioned above are protected by an earthed covering.

Sponsored Links
No we are going backwards, the 14th edition also stated that 3 phase colours as red, yellow and blue. ie primary colours from different areas of the spectrum. Almost totally impossible to confuse one with the other.

The IET now tell us that these colours have to be brown, black and grey.

I'm with you on that one Homie - No problem spotting RYB in poor light etc - but brown black and grey?

I don't know if it was just canteen rumours, but I heard that one of the reasons for the change (as well as harmonisation of course) was because some colour-blind people struggle with RYB. Well if you're that colour-blind you shouldn't be working as an electrician.

Nothing wrong with fixing cable to a fence as long as fence is rigidly built and firmly fixed. But I would feed the cable via an 30mA rcd.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned leaving loops in the cable, they are mad.

What's mad about loops at either end ? Without knowing the fencing run- straight line, 2 x straight lines and right angle etc it hard to say where such loops would be.

On the assumption that the cable entry is high level in to the garage and low level in to the house I can foresee a need to have some slack (loops) at the garage end and anywhere where the fence run deviates substantially.

The principle is simply to prevent strain on the cable should a panel or the whole fence be blown down, what is so "mad" about that ?

I have no issue with comments, but please have the courtesy to make then informed and offer some logic behind your statement. Not too much to ask, is it ?

But you usually are,
"Usually", eh? how common do you think instances of impoliteness should be for it to be reasonable to say that it is "usual"?

>50%?

>33%?

>20%?

If you'd like to tell me what figure you think it should be I can then ask you to produce how ever many hundreds or thousands of posts that works out to and to provide a rational analysis showing how they were impolite.

You must have a figure you are basing "usually" on, otherwise it would be a baseless assertion.

so by the law of averages you probably were.
But in this case you don't have to use any "law of averages" - the post is right here for you to use to justify your accusation.

Then pay someone else to dig it. Simples.
What's impolite about that?

Not really.

No, because it's too cr*p.

Yes - do it properly or not at all.

Nor was I impolite,

But you usually are, so by the law of averages you probably were.

I would say that 99.9% of second or third replies by BAS have some/a lot/quite a lot of rudeness and aggression in them. By the time he gets to a fourth reply he is 100% rude.

Who else on this forum can get away with suggesting that all plumbers are lier's?

Who else can get away with referring to all users of the General Discussion Forum as: "dribbling Neanderthals."

There must be a reason why he gets away with it when the rest of us would probably get banned.

I am sure BAS is in real life a normal nice polite chap, but once on the forum (like certain people who get behind the wheel of a car) his personality changes.

I would say that 99.9% of second or third replies by BAS have some/a lot/quite a lot of rudeness and aggression in them. By the time he gets to a fourth reply he is 100% rude.
I would say that you must have a very odd idea of which words are rude, and which are not.

Would you care to present a rational analysis of my earlier post, as I asked, to show in what way I was rude, or do you plan to just keep calling me rude but never justifying yourself?

Who else on this forum can get away with suggesting that all plumbers are lier's?
1) I've never said that they are all liars, only that they cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

2) Since they themselves have stated that they do lie to people to save themselves the trouble of explaining things properly, or because they don't like the truth and don't want people to know it, I think my observation is a fair one.

Who else can get away with referring to all users of the General Discussion Forum as: "dribbling Neanderthals."
I may have said they all are, but I don't remember doing so - could you refresh my memory on where I did, please?

I've certainly said that that forum does have such creatures, and whether you like it or not is irrelevant, for it is true.

Please don't confuse rudeness with saying things that are true which some people find upsetting because they wish they were not true.

One more thing - since you have shown yourself to be either unwilling or unable to deal with the post I made in this topic, why do you think that the readers of it should have to endure you criticising me for things you think I may have said in other topics? Is this something we can look forward to you doing in every topic I post in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back