Rules around burying a cable under an extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a 4mm (SWA) mains cable that comes from a switch near my distribution board - runs along the back of my house (buried under some loose chippings) and then travels up to a shed.

It was a feed that was in when I moved in. The previous owner had used it for a hot tub. I repurposed it to feed a small consumer unit in a shed (lights / sockets).

I'm getting an extension built next month. I mentioned to my builder that there was an electric cable under the loose chippings and asked if he needed me to pull it back. He said he would just bury it.

With that in mind I'm thinking of running another 6mm SWA along the same route. That will give me the opportunity to fit a hot tub in the future.

Can I just run an SWA along the back of the house and have the builder bury it? Or do I need to put it in some form of conduit etc?

Anyone know the rules around this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It can be buried straight into the Ground though requires Warning tape above it. You could put them into a Duct if you wished. 16 inches or more would be a good depth

FMPT103.JPG

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Necessities_Index/Electric_Cable_Below_Tape/index.html

Can I just run an SWA along the back of the house and have the builder bury it? Or do I need to put it in some form of conduit etc?
If it (or, come to that, the present cable) is simply 'buried under the extension' by your builder, without being in any duct, if it ever needed to be replaced in the future your extension would presumably have to be 'semi-destroyed' to do that, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Presumably the builder has some kind of digger, mechanical or human, to dig the trenches for the extension?
If it were me, I would either pay the builder to dig a new trench that you bury trunking in (or he can do it all) or if the labourer was up for it, get him to do it in his own time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I'll have a look at ducting - I didn't even think of that. I'm sure the builder wouldn't mind putting it in some ducting and then laying the tape above it as he fills it in.

I'll also look into whether it can get added to the drawings or something to mark out where it is?

Thanks again for all your help.

That topic was from a year ago. I rather suspect that the job's all done and dusted by now!

Yep, it's all in and ticking along... but I suppose the link might help someone else out searching for a similar answer so good to post it.

Always appreciate everyone's help on this site. Some great folk :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back