Cable in Conduit along fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to run T+E cable in conduit along a fence to a shed? The alternative would be burying it but the route goes through mature flower beds and would be very disruptive.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you call “acceptable”.
It’s not good practice to run cable on fence runs as fences can(and do) blow down.
If that’s your only solution then put the conduit run as close to the bottom of the fence as practical.

It is acceptable to have T&E cable inside conduit. Use EXPANSION COUPLERS or the conduit will go all droopy after a summer or two.

If it was me, I would design the conduit in such a way that it wouldn't matter if the conduit did allow water into it.

ASSUMING (that word again) that you are having plastic conduit, as the fence contracts, the conduit moves about as well, and joints can open up or split - and if that happens, water will get in.

So, you need to design the conduit run so that if water enters, the water will not run into the shed, or the house.

Is it acceptable to run T+E cable in conduit along a fence to a shed? The alternative would be burying it but the route goes through mature flower beds and would be very disruptive.

SWA cable might be a better option than conduit, with T&E inside.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I would design the conduit in such a way that it wouldn't matter if the conduit did allow water into it.
From the point-of-view of the T+E cable, it wouldn't matter if water got in. The only possible issue is ...
So, you need to design the conduit run so that if water enters, the water will not run into the shed, or the house.
That should be achieved if the conduit entering the house and shed is sloping in the appropriate direction, couples with some 'drainage holes' in the conduit run - after all, the conduit would only be there to provide a small amount of 'mechanical protection' and to protect the cable from sunlight, so some holes in it would not be an issue.

Kind Regards, John

Another vote for SWA from me. Placcie conduit provides very little mechanical protection, not sure how well it'll endure outside. Plus pulling t & e through it is always a pain.

SWA in the flower bed after Summer. The flowers will recover! Dug deep at least 14 inches with tape. May as well Run 4 or 6mm while your at it too

SWA in the flower bed after Summer. The flowers will recover! Dug deep at least 14 inches with tape.
It theoretically doesn't even need to be buried.

Given context, one issue with SWA is that the majority of DIYers are not familiar/experienced with terminating it.

Kind Regards, John

It theoretically doesn't even need to be buried.

Given context, one issue with SWA is that the majority of DIYers are not familiar/experienced with terminating it.

Kind Regards, John
Small SWA isn't that difficult - plenty of Youtube videos and hints and tips on here.

Small SWA isn't that difficult - plenty of Youtube videos and hints and tips on here.
No, it's not difficult at all - but that doesn't alter the fact that it's something that many/most DIYers would have to 'learn about', whereas they are likely to already be very familiar with terminating T+E.

Kind Regards, John

No, it's not difficult at all - but that doesn't alter the fact that it's something that many/most DIYers would have to 'learn about', whereas they are likely to already be very familiar with terminating T+E.

Kind Regards, John
Every day is a school day (it's good to try new things) :) . At least no-one suggested doing it in MI, tools for SWA are pretty generic :)

Every day is a school day (it's good to try new things) :) . At least no-one suggested doing it in MI, tools for SWA are pretty generic :)
I'm inclined to agree, at least for myself. However, I suspect that many would prefer to do something which they already know how to do, rather than to have to extend their education with a new skill!

Kind Regards, John

I'm inclined to agree, at least for myself. However, I suspect that many would prefer to do something which they already know how to do, rather than to have to extend their education with a new skill!

That's the difference between a true DIY'er, and someone who just wants to get a job out of the way out of necessity. I try to never shy away from any sort of job, in any sphere, providing I am physically capable.

That's the difference between a true DIY'er, and someone who just wants to get a job out of the way out of necessity. I try to never shy away from any sort of job, in any sphere, providing I am physically capable.
That's also true of me, but I'm sure that there are many who come into the former category you mention.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back