Running cable ,, concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .
I want to extend a ring main with 2 or 3 sockets into room/extension that has a concrete floor . what is the best way to run it coplying with building regs . Its on a bungalow so theres no ring running above . the floors been laid & awaiting screed . The builder told me to run it into the loft and down the walls but i dident want to do this till i checked that was ok . Also i wasent sure if it was best to run the cable so it can be connected to the exsisting ring or route it back to the CU to form a new ring
I am quite aware of part p and only want to run the cables so they can get on with the floor and plaster . i will get a sparky in to finaly connect it up and test it ,
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It might be easier to run the ring round the walls, about 450mm above the floor; except if you have kitchen work surfaces, then run it about 900mm. Then you can readily put as many sockets as you want anywhere along the run, and no need to keep running up and down the loft ladder. If the walls are in lightweight block they'll be easy to cut out for the boxes, and the cables can be capped and plastered over. Best thing is to ask your electrician, he may not be delighted if you design it without speaking to him.

Thanks ,
Its only for a bedroom & havent got a electrician yet . I just want to run the cables and comply with regs . Do the sockets have to be a certain hight from the floor ie 450mm . i know i wont be able to get away with wireing it up myself and making it live so i will have to get a electrician in but id like to run the cables to save on time and cost .
thanks

If you haven't got an electrician yet, try to use a flattish conduit that he can draw the cables through, and sink the sockets. If you've run the cables yourself he may consider that he can't sign a form saying it's his own work and be sure there is no damage to cables.

You will find posts saying that only the building control officers can certify someone else's work and an electrician can only certify his own.

450mm is the lowest acceptable height for sockets. I've forgotten the upper limit. It's so you can still reach them when you get old and disabled.

Sponsored Links
Thanks , i can see where you are coming from .
so if i forget about running the cables and just fit the conduit to the walls and sink the sockets where needed is it ok to run horizontaly and does it matter if i use plastic or metal capping as i already have a load of 25mm plastic capping .
thanks again

It's easier to put cables through conduit than capping. You can get a plastic oval one, not expensive, and fasten it with cable clips.

Ok last question ,I knoiw its hard to comment without seeing the room but if i run oval conduit around the room at 450mm what happens when i get to the door ? . Do you not think it would be easier to make 3 or 4 drops from the loft or is this not allowed ,
Thanks again for the advice

Yes, you're allowed to drop from the ceiling or rise from the floor if you prefer.

With my method you can enter the room at each side of the doorway (have a socket, drill through the wall, put another socket in the passage or other room, then continue the ring) or if you prefer you can rise up (or drop down) at the sockets nearest the door. Personal choice, I guess. I just happen to like lots of sockets, so I find running the ring round the room quite handy. Makes it very easy to add a socket at a later date and is economical in labour and materials.

It's also the easiest way to wire a garage or workroom using minitrunking on the surface, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back