Running cable under floor

I know it has t&g but didn't think people would refer to chipboard as that.
upload_2017-11-5_14-46-16.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I've often said it's a pity that, unlike the situation in many a forum (including several that I have managed over the years), the mods seem not to have the facility and/or inclination to split off the 'subsequent discussions' into separate threads - for people to follow or ignore as they wish.
We know they have the facility.

As for inclination, they don't even do it when explicitly asked.

After posting this: https://www.diynot.com/diy/posts/4012567/ I asked the Mods to split it, and the associated post from John D, off to a separate topic in Hardware. He and I had recently had basically the same off-topic discussion in another thread (and with that one I simply asked for the OT posts to be removed), but as I felt it was an issue that ought to be discussed (should we have to have websites reduced to the "lowest common denominator" of device capability?) this time I asked for it to be split off to a new topic.

They completely ignored me.

And just to diverge off topic, that T&G chipboard will squeak like hell unless you glue all the joints, brace any unsupported mating ends and use decent size screws (5mm diameter) at ridiculously close intervals to fix it down.
Never used the stuff, and I hope I never have to, but that seems like a lot of faff. OOI, is a double layer with the joints staggered a viable alternative?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know but if you wanted it removed would you ask someone to "remove the tongue and groove" or "remove the chipboard"?

https://www.google.pt/search?q=tong...3KfXAhVO_KQKHaTrAugQ_AUICigB&biw=1642&bih=866
I got caaught out like this on site a few months ago - luckily not quite what you describe. I was told the key for the property was in the garage under the T&G flooring. So I moved about 30 lengths of floorboards to no avail. After a few phone calls, turns out it was under the chipboard flooring on the other side of the garage :mad:

Yes, I know but if you wanted it removed would you ask someone to "remove the tongue and groove" or "remove the chipboard"?
Probably neither - I'd probably just ask them to remove "the flooring" - just as I would if I wanted T&G timber floor boards removed. I personally don't think I would ever ask anyone to "remove the T&G" (any more than I would ask them to "remove the square edged"), whether I was talking about timber boards or chipboard etc.

I really don't think this is an issue which warrants any discussion.

Kind Regards, John

“Can you lift the floor”. Anything else sounds odd.
Indeed, if one justs wants 'it' (whatever material) 'lifted'. EFLI's phrases used the word "remove", which caused me to assume that he meant 'lift and take away', rather than just 'lift' (or 'take up').

Kind Regards, John

I suppose it's down to what the OP has.

As far as I am concerned "T&G" is planks for fitting on floor, walls or ceilings

Never used the stuff, and I hope I never have to, but that seems like a lot of faff. OOI, is a double layer with the joints staggered a viable alternative?
You're not very good at this, are you?
That's the way my bathroom domer flat roof has been constructed after I commented that I didn't like the idea of all the joints being between joists.

That's the way my bathroom domer flat roof has been constructed after I commented that I didn't like the idea of all the joints being between joists.
People tend not to walk about on flat roofs as much as they do internal floors. And I suspect that if they do they would be more tolerant of creaking than they would be with internal floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back