Cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
I want to run a cable to the garage to a seperate CU so I can run a ring main for power, washing machine,dryer,freezer workshop excetra. Lighting for outside and power for summer house and greenhouse all on seperate MCBs with the correct rating. I have a split load CU in the bungalow and I will run this from the RCD side. Would a raidial cable of approx 10mx6mm suffice or would it need a return as if a ring circuit or possibley would 4.5mm cable be okay :?: .

Sponsored Links
You'd probably be better running a 10mm SWA ( armoured ) cable from your Consumer unit. feed it from a 40A MCB on the NON RCD side and connect to a Consumer Unit in the garage with a 30ma RCD in the Garage.
From there you can either do a 2.5mm ring main for sockets or a 4mm Radial.
Lighting on 1/1.5mm
4.5mm cable doesn't exist ;)
Hope this helps :)

Thank you BigJon
Would it require armoured cable as the garage is only 1m away and I could place it in a conduit above head hight, perhaps Mr Breezer you could spend your time giving people more usefull advice or perhaps your not up to it I did make a mistake and incorrectly wrote 4.5mm but whats a mm between friends :)

Sponsored Links
A conduit should be fine with 10mm twin + earth, although it should be 3m high but as long as its well above head height I dont see a problem as its not a busy public walkway although a governing body may think otherwise.

wheelycat said:
perhaps Mr Breezer you could spend your time giving people more usefull advice or perhaps your not up to it I did make a mistake and incorrectly wrote 4.5mm but whats a mm between friends :)

mistakes can KILL "oh that one!, i thought he meant this one" poor old xxxx who will tell his wife?

see what i mean, mistakes can be FATAL

wheelycat said:
Mr Breezer you could spend your time giving people more usefull advice or perhaps your not up to it I did make a mistake and incorrectly wrote 4.5mm but whats a mm between friends :)
hope you do not need much more advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back