Running Cable under the floor boards in the bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you it is ok to run cable under the floorboards in the bathroom? I have reviewed the Zone safty rules but i dont see any reference as to what lives under the foorboards? Would you be able to run the cable for an electrical cooker under the floorboards to the consumer unit?

This isnt a wind up either! The kitchen has a solid concreate base and the electrician cant get under the downstairs floorboards without ripping up my solid oak flooring!

Sponsored Links
"lives under the foorboards"?????????

The cable would be outwith the bathroom zones and is permissable.

The bathroom is above the kitchen and the consumer unit lives on the backwall at the otherside of the house (old victorian house but re-wired). So the only possible way would be either:

1. Drill a hole in the kitchen concreate floor and cut through the flooboards in the dinning room to pull thecable to the cellar!

2. Channel the cable up the kitchen wall into the bathroom and run under the floorboards to top of the stairs and into the cellar.

It's hassle eitherway for the sparky but i'd like to limit damage costs.

I assume as long as the cable isnt touching the pipe work then wouldn't be an issue? it may sound a really daft question but i dont want some chap telling me i have to change it!

Sponsored Links
You can run it under the bathroom floor, but keep it away from hot pipes (insulate them well, and have the cable underneath and not touching). Cables in hot conditions will deteriorate, and also have to be of larger size.

the cable sheath is waterproof so not affected by a bit of damp.

under our bathroom floorboards is kitchen light cables, outside light cables (with several junction boxes for the lights), kitchen ring main cable, shower cable.

Dont worry about it. Under the floor is not part of the bathroom.

Ummm, not so keen on the junction boxes, but that's because I'm stupid and sometimes leave the taps running (flood flood) :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back