Running CCTV cable without it showing on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am looking at best ways to run CCTV cabling to the downstairs of our new build house without having to make holes in the plaster board etc.

Ideally, I would like to run an HDMI or Ethernet lead down from the loft space to the kitchen.

I have identified on the plans boxing for a soil & vent pipe which runs from the ceiling of the upstairs bathroom (bottom left corner) down to the kitchen. The boxing is large enough that I should be able to drop a thin Ethernet lead down.

Does anyone have any experience of if this is possible? Would rather not have to make a mess of the walls. There is a consumer unit in the hall way, but by the look of the plans, there is no obvious boxing for this, or I may have been able to fish a lead through with the electrical cables. At the moment, the SVP boxing is all that I can see obviously from the plans.

There is a note on the plans which reads: "S.V.P boxing/s packed with sound absorption quilt".

0_zps0jrht4ew.png

1_zpsisjswrog.png

Sponsored Links
Yes it is possble to get a cable to kithen from loft.
You my need to remove bath panel to access svp pipe.
You will need a trunking lid to push down to under bath and tape cable on,once cable from loft to under bath you can then hopefully get cable down to kitchen.it will not be easy if the insulation is in svp stack.
Put draw cable in first then you can pull hdmi/cat5 once cable is ware you want it
Good luck

Where the svp passes through floor levels there should be no gap's.Any gaps should have been filled with fire proof material. Like expanding fire rated foam,quilt,Intumescent collars/wraps anything that will seal and prevent/slow spread of fire/smoke.from the kitchen.

Remember its a new house.

Have run conduit for cctv cables in conduit on the outside walls before,placed conduit next to rwp so it cant be seen to much. But it means drilling through exterior walls,or run through existing service ducts.

Everything is possible.

On my own new build house, I took off the rainwater down pipes and ran black 20mm conduit behind. With the pipe back in place, it pretty much totally conceals the conduit. You can sort of see what I mean in the photo.
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
On my own new build house, I took off the rainwater down pipes and ran black 20mm conduit behind. With the pipe back in place, it pretty much totally conceals the conduit. You can sort of see what I mean in the photo.
View attachment 117085

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Wow, now that is clever! I can just make it out behind the gutter.
How about the camera on the right hand side? Where is cable going for that one?

I drilled through from the conduit at a steep angle into the wall cavity, then from the camera position I drilled a 25mm hole to meet up with the first hole (roughly). A bit of scrap cable poked into the cavity and a bit of hooking about from the 25mm hole and there you go :) You'd need a decent SDS drill and it will depend on how the cavity is insulated (ours is insulated with those polystyrene beads, Kingspan or foam might cause a problem!)

Just in case you're tempted to try it, I thought I'd cover another option if you're talking ethernet/IP cameras - and that is powerline adapters. These are plug in gadgets that allow you to run ethernet over your mains cabling. Some even have PoE (power over ethernet) these days to provide camera power.

I have had mixed experience with powerlines. I use them for some corners of the house with poor wifi. I also use them to get from my CCTV DVR to my broadband hub to allow access to the DVR from the internet i.e. I put the DVR where I could best get the (analogue in my case) camera cables to it.

But they can be fussy when it comes to different types of circuit breakers, as they won't generally cross an RCD or RCBO (combined breaker and RCD). If its a new build, your consumer unit might have RCBOs - so you could find upstairs is on one, and downstairs on another, and powerline adapters won't work.

So personally speaking, even though my DVR to broadband hub connection has been stable over powerlines, I'd always go for cables if possible.

The behind the drainpipe solution looks neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back