Internal Ethernet cables after Openreach gigabit FTTH install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of having FTTH installed using the Openreach gigabit voucher scheme. I believe an engineer will install a box outside (CSP box) and then run the cable inside to an ONT box which converts the signal to a LAN signal. Our ONT box will be positioned in a storage space in the attic (where the copper cable currently comes in)

What would be the way to run some internal cables to rooms in the house, and have general wireless ?
1. Place BT homehub downstairs in the lounge to provide wireless and run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable from ONT into the BT homehub. Then run ethernet cables from BT homehub to devices in the house.
2. Place BT homehub downstairs in the lounge to provide wireless. Run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable from ONT into a gigabit switch in the attic and then a crossover patch cable from the switch to the BT homehub. In addition, install ethernet ports in the rooms upstairs and terminate the cables into a krone strip. Run ethernet cables from ports on the krone strip to the gigabit ethernet switch
3. Alternative method

Sponsored Links
The homehub (router) needs to be between the ONT and other devices, so option 2 doesn't work, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

The ethernet socket on the o n t is on BT side and needs to connect directly (logically) to the the WAN ethernet port on the BT hub.
You could put switches upstairs and downstairs and run link between the ONT and the BT hub (it's a router) downstairs using a VLAN to keep it separate but don't expect to BT to support you if you have any problems!

The homehub (router) needs to be between the ONT and other devices, so option 2 doesn't work, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.
I thought the ONT modulated between WAN and LAN so assumed I could use the homehub just for wireless access point?

Sponsored Links
The ethernet socket on the o n t is on BT side and needs to connect directly (logically) to the the WAN ethernet port on the BT hub.
You could put switches upstairs and downstairs and run link between the ONT and the BT hub (it's a router) downstairs using a VLAN to keep it separate but don't expect to BT to support you if you have any problems!
I didn't realise the ethernet port on ONT had to be connected to the bt homehub. I assumed the ONT acted as a modem and converted the WAN signal to a LAN signal so could just go direct into a switch. If I understand you correctly would the following be possible
ONT to BT Homehub to Ethernet Switch to Krone strip to RJ45 socket to Computers

What is the purpose of a krone strip? The ethernet cables can just be plugged directly into the switch and run to wall sockets?

What is the purpose of a krone strip? The ethernet cables can just be plugged directly into the switch and run to wall sockets?
The wall sockets would be wired back to the krone strip and then patched into the switch?

Couple more possibilities:

* Install the HomeHub with the switch and use separate wireless access points to provide wireless service
* Run two cables from the attic space to the lounge and cross-connect the WAN side port to the ONT with the other cable going back up to the switch

Is this attic storage location easy to access and is the ONT definitely going there? There's a slim chance you might have to reset the ONT or HomeHub.

OpenReach will put the ONT where you wish - it's worthwhile preparing the location and 'cable' route if it's not just inside the house for it beforehand. It will require a dedicated 13A socket outlet.

From the ONT if they are located in different places in the house then a CAT6e cable running from ONT location to Router location. A suitable short (<1mtr) flexible cable is supplied with the router.

The new Router has 3 LAN ports (out) and one WAN (in) port (or at least that is how mine is configured). Again, it will require a dedicate 13A socket outlet.

I'll suggest that you have the router as close to the centre of your property as possible as the landline 'phone (if you have one) uses the router as it's wireless point. You can have one fixed line 'phone off the router.

Couple more possibilities:

* Install the HomeHub with the switch and use separate wireless access points to provide wireless service
* Run two cables from the attic space to the lounge and cross-connect the WAN side port to the ONT with the other cable going back up to the switch

Is this attic storage location easy to access and is the ONT definitely going there? There's a slim chance you might have to reset the ONT or HomeHub.
Yes, the attic space is very easily accessed and has power at the point where the cable would come into the home.

OpenReach will put the ONT where you wish - it's worthwhile preparing the location and 'cable' route if it's not just inside the house for it beforehand. It will require a dedicated 13A socket outlet.

From the ONT if they are located in different places in the house then a CAT6e cable running from ONT location to Router location. A suitable short (<1mtr) flexible cable is supplied with the router.

The new Router has 3 LAN ports (out) and one WAN (in) port (or at least that is how mine is configured). Again, it will require a dedicate 13A socket outlet.

I'll suggest that you have the router as close to the centre of your property as possible as the landline 'phone (if you have one) uses the router as it's wireless point. You can have one fixed line 'phone off the router.
I have power in the attic space so could house both in there or do as you say and run a cable from the ONT to homehub.
Is it not possible to go from the ONT into a switch and from there into the Homehub? Logically it would still be connected the same?

Yes but you cannot then connect anything else to that switch unless you use a virtual lan to keep the ONT to BT Hub WAN link logically separate from the local LAN which is what I said in my first reply! If you are not going to do that then what is the point of a switch when only two ports can be used?

Yes but you cannot then connect anything else to that switch unless you use a virtual lan to keep the ONT to BT Hub WAN link logically separate from the local LAN which is what I said in my first reply! If you are not going to do that then what is the point of a switch when only two ports can be used?
OK, I think I understand what you mean now. Still confused as to the best approach lol

I think your best bet is to do what hllns suggested:
Running two cables along the same path is very nearly as easy as running one

I think your best bet is to do what hllns suggested:

Running two cables along the same path is very nearly as easy as running one
Sorry, I am probably just being thick but what do you mean "cross-connect the WAN side port to the ONT with the other cable going back up to the switch"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back