CCTV Box - Convert ethernet output to Wireless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have my cctv box next to, and connected to my tv. The cctv box connects to my router via ethernet, allowing me to access the cctv box remotely from several devices connected to my router. I am decorating and would like to replace the ethernet connection with a wifi connection as the ethernet cable is about 20m long and is in the way of things I want to do.

Can I convert the ethernet output of the cctv box to wireless via an adaptor? My Broadband/router is BT FTTP at about 500M.

Thanks for reading.

SjH

Sponsored Links
I would opt for ethernet over mains plugs instead of going wireless.

short cable to the plug near the DVR/NVR and one nearest your router, as for the speed required depends on how much bandwidth the CCTV uses and if you want to use the plugs for other devices.

can you not move, integrate the cable so its hidden and out of the way?

I use these where I need Wi-Fi/Ethernet connections .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 46
As above I’ve used these Tp link adapters and had no issues with them …but in all fairness I would rather have a cable connection if possible

Sponsored Links
Thank you for those prompt replies guys, I think I will find a way to route/hide the Ethernet cable because I get the full Ethernet bandwidth and the quality is excellent hard-wired.

Thanks again to all.

SjH

Please advise if I should create a new thread for this?

I am rethinking the above and am considering scrapping the existing installation and moving toward using new ip cameras and linking them to my router/pc etc. My thinking is that I buy new cameras, I link them to my router, DHCP addressing or whatever, (same router as my PC) and use an 'app' to control/view.

Basic questions are:

1. Power to ip cameras - just recharge internal battery every xx months?
2. I am sure if there is an app it will also allow access from my mobile devices (iphone/pad etc) for viewing/management etc.
3. Can I record on my PC rather than on a card in the camera?
4. Sorry for this one, best economical camera to test principle of operation (and upgrade to better quality later)?

Thanks yet again !!

SjH

1. I dont do battery operated cameras as a rule as they usually use Wi-Fi to send signals back and it’s just asking for trouble.

2. Loads of apps, manufacturers usually have their own apps, if the camera is rebadged you also use the manufacturers apps.

3. I wouldn’t, NVR or NAS maybe worth you looking at.

4. mission impossible, to be fair it depends on what type of ip cameras, ie Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.

There are lots and lots of options out there and your not specific enough on criteria of camera function.

Thanks again secureiam for taking the trouble to assist.

Points taken. My existing system, a cheap and cheerful package to test the viability of cctv is actually a very good performer for what I want cctv for (Actually for wildlife watching rather than security). The only issue is wires. I would love to have stand-alone cameras within Wi-Fi distance of my router(s) but your point relating to power is very valid, so, a rethink on the way. Rethinks don’t do any harm!

You have been a great help.

Steve.

There are specific cameras out there for wildlife but storage is on an sd card.

there are cameras that are battery operated like eufy but they aren't something I use but have seen one used as security as it had two way audio.
if your looking at a busy bird table than no idea how long the battery will last.

I know some eufy cameras have built in solar panel at the top to help with battery charging but no idea how they perform.

Maybe you need a wildlife video group to look at the solutions they have used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back