Running central heating pipe through wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hope you can help me please.

This weekend I intend to install a new radiator in our living room as it currently does not contain any central heating (don't ask me why :rolleyes: ). There is already a radiator in our adjoining kitchen and my plan it to tee off from the 15mm flow and return pipes that this is currently connected to. I have also checked that this is the only radiator that runs off this particular branch from the 22mm pipes.

I plan to install the new radiator on the other side of the wall from the kitchen radiator and by far the easiest way to do this would be to bore a suitable size hole straight through the wall to give me new pipes into the living room. Obviously the traditional way would be to take the pipes underneath the floor but I don't fancy digging up the concrete floor in the kitchen.

Is it acceptable to run the new pipes as I have described (ie straight through an internal wall)? Is there anything I should be specifically aware of, for example boring a hole that is a little bit wider than the pipe, any form of insulation round the pipes etc.

Your help is much appreciated as always!

Sponsored Links
No problems with this. Drill a 20mm hole and line with 20mm rigid plastic electric conduit.

good man! Thank you for your advice, i hadn't thought about using conduit but it makes perfect sense now you mention it! Am i better using copper or plastic pipe or is it just down to personal preference?

Personally I prefer copper due to my concerns over longevity of plastic. Plastic pushfit can be used but the fittings look quite bulky, and it never seems to look right to me. But, as you say, it's a matter of preference coupled with how confident you are working with copper.

Sponsored Links
I'm perfectly happy working with copper and using soldered and compression joints having already relocated a radiator in our bedroom - for some reason all the radiators have been hung on walls other than underneath the window :rolleyes:

I agree as well that copper looks better and tidier so I will be going with this. Thank you very much for all your advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back