Running gas supply to kitchen island through floor

15 Nov 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We're part way through a selfbuild project, and I'm at the stage where I'm starting to lay the insulation sheets on the ground floor slab, in preparation for UFH pipes & screed.

However, we will be having an island in the kitchen, which will feature a gas hob and electric oven.

My question is, how do I go about running a gas supply through the floor ?

I assume it will have to go through/under the insulation, on top of the concrete slab, as the screed will be criss-crossed with UFH pipework.

Are there any regulations surrounding the running of copper gas pipes underfloor ?

Any special type of pipe needed, and is is a job that has to be done by a Corgi registered plumber ?

Need to get it right, as once the screed is down there's no going back...!

Sponsored Links
This might do the trick for the corgi guy you should get to do the work.
From that link:-
Tracpipe® manufactured to BS 7838 may be buried directly in screed/concrete, without the need for additional protection.
Otherwise regular copper pipe should be in an accessible duct.
That looks like ideal stuff, thanks.

(Although it's not actually being embedded in screed or concrete - it's just laying on top of the concrete slab with Celotex insulation board sat on top.)

I like the idea of being able to have one long length without joins in.
Wait till you see the price of it about £12 a metre and you have to buy whatever size coil it comes in and the fittings are a horrendous price even for the 2 you will need
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local