Running hot and cold water outside....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I need to run hot and cold water supplies to an outbuilding and also to either ends of my garden. What's the best way to go about this? I'm guessing I'll need to use blue plastic water pipe (I need to replace the house's lead supply pipe anyway), but how deep should I lay it, how should I protect it etc, etc.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, so in September you were told that running electricity to your shed in order to have an electric shower there would be problematic, so now you’re considering running a hot water pipe from the boiler in the house instead.

I suppose that’s possible in principle, but obviously it needs to be well insulated and it will take a while for the hot water to get there. Is there much of a slope? What sort of heating system do you have in the house?

There is a minimum depth requirement for buried water pipes to avoid freezing in winter; I forget exactly what it is.

Hi, well actually that's not the main reason, but if it'll work yes I might do that. Yes, I'd like to know what depth and how to insulate the pipe....

Sponsored Links
Minimum depth would be at least 18" to take it below the frost line but it would need to be well insulated because it will lose a lot of heat whilst flowing underground.
Add to this the pressure will probably drop the further it goes and it may well not be suitable for use in a shower.

Why exactly do you need hot and cold to an outbuilding and also to either end of your garden?
If you are constructing some form of habitable dwellings, separate to your main house, then you will need a completely different mains supply as 'shared' mains are no longer permitted without permission from the water authorities.

Many thanks to all, I've posted this in Plumbing - Mods please feel free to remove from here

The water company stipulates 750 min for the pipe between their connection at the pavement and wherever it enters your house.

After that point, if you choose to add another spur on you can run it whatever depth you want, run it on the surface if you like, nobody can stop you or even know about it.

But it's your problem and bill if it bursts / leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back