Running Multiple LED Strip Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Total noob here so please be gentle!

I'm currently landscaping a reptile vivarium and part of the project is the inclusion of various LED lights. I plan to use the strip lights featured on brightlightz (http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/produ...r-changing-strip-light-1m-30-led-s-controller) for this job, however the way it is going to be set out will mean that I will need to be running a number of strips of different lengths.

I just wondered if there's a way I can connect them all to the same power somehow? I'm a total novice when it comes to electrics, and wouldn't have the first clue how to go about this.

Also, if I were to cut the lights to separate them (as advised on the site), how exactly would I be able to then connect them back to a power source?

Apologies if I haven't explained this very well. Essentially I'd like about 5 strips of varying length (not too long) somehow connected to one power source. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to ask all of these question of the people you're buying the lights from - they will have information on where and how you can cut the strips, they will also sell connectors, and they will tell you, or tell you how to work out, what size of supply you need.

Also, have you checked with reptile experts/forums etc that LEDs are OK to use?

Hi, yeah the LEDs are safe, I've had chats with folks in reptile shops and over in the reptile forum, and they are fine so long as they are of the waterproof variety. Many people use them because they produce a relatively low amount of heat compared to other lights.

I've tried contacting the company a few times but they just keep saying they'll get back to me. Oh well, I guess I'll have to persist! Thanks.

Hi, yeah the LEDs are safe, I've had chats with folks in reptile shops and over in the reptile forum, and they are fine so long as they are of the waterproof variety. Many people use them because they produce a relatively low amount of heat compared to other lights.
OK - they also (can) produce a relatively high amount of UV which could (IHNI) have been an issue.

Sponsored Links
?

What do you mean? The vivarium ocupant is a crested gecko, and as long as they have a method of shade if they need it, UV light is fine. The LEDs will be inaccessible anyway so won't produce direct light, but honestly it's something I've researched with Arcadia lighting and there is no problem.

The problem is how to connect everything up!

OK - they also (can) produce a relatively high amount of UV which could (IHNI) have been an issue.

see http://www.celma.org/archives/temp/...y_LED_lighting_Final_1st_Edition_July2011.pdf

"LED based light sources do not emit any UV radiation (unless specifically designed for that particular
purpose). Therefore, they are not harmful to people with a specific sensitivity for certain UV radiation and
can bring relief to certain groups of patients. In this respect, LED based light sources provide advantages
overtraditional incandescent, halogen and Compact Fluorescentlamps."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back