Running power lead outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a [hopefully] simple question.

I wish to mount an LCD TV half way up my living room wall. I want to get the power lead to the TV without having to channel into the walls or build a false wall behind which I can lose the cables. This is because I have just redecorated the room!

The wall onto which the TV is being mounted is an external wall. Could I simply drill through to the outside and run the cable down the outside wall and back in at the appropriate point. Asthetically this would be OK as the external wall is not visible from the garden or front of the house.

The question is: am I allowed to do this? I would use reinforced “outside” cable for the job, and seal the “in” and “out” holes with silicon to prevent bugs getting in. I read somewhere that this approach is not recommended as lightening has a habit of finding external copper wire. Is this true? Is it that different to running a TV aerial down the side of the house (as most houses do)?

I know this is a bit of a “work around” option. Before I do anything I’d like some opinions as to whether it is a sensible thing to consider. I don’t want to introduce any risk safety wise which is why I am calling on the experts to advise.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Sponsored Links
There's no reason you can't run a cable outside as long as it is adequately protected, so I suppose the simple answer to your question would be yes.

You suggest reinforced (read: Steel Wire Armoured?) cable for the outside portion of the run. I don't know if you plan on feeding the TV from a standard 13A socket on a flex or putting in a dedicated FCU, but if the former, it seems a lot of hassle to go from flex to SWA and back to flex again. Have you considered running some conduit on the external wall instead?

The risks you have to deal with are:

1. Water ingress.
Loop down any cable to ensure that drips don't run in, and use mastic to seal exit and entry points. Make all terminations inside the house, or use waterproof junction boxes.

2. Mechanical and rodent damage.
Put it in conduit. There are products specifically designed for doing this.

3. UV light.
PVC cable doesn't last long in sunlight, so you need to either use something else or put it in conduit.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Thats why i suggested Hi-Tuf. It sorts out issues 2&3 on yr list.
Apologies - I started replying before anyone else had replied, but didn't press "Submit" until much later on. Sorry.

Taylortwocities said:
Thats why i suggested Hi-Tuf. It sorts out issues 2&3 on yr list.

As much as I deplore the stuff after having used it for the first time last year, you're right, it probably would be the easiest option here. This is especially true if you want flex to appear out of the walls at either end, as the inner conductors are double-sheathed in a similar way to an appliance flex underneath the main tough plastic coating.

Brilliant - thanks for that.

I am a competent DIYer (fitted numerous kitchens and bathrooms etc). Like to DIY as it saves money; I always check with electrics as,although I understand how it all works, I do not know the regs or potential issues with doing things a bit differently like this.

If I do this, will i *technically* be required to Part P it or is this OK for me to do without.

As far as I can see, I will run a fused spur from my selected socket on the ring main. Into that I will feed my flex, run it up the outside of the house and in behind the TV.

Any need for Oart P in this instance? I know you are allowed to add a fused spur to an existing ring without it, so I assume this is OK too.

Cheers all,

Golfer1

What about the scart lead, HDMI and aerial, do you intend running them outside as well?

Golfer1 said:
If I do this, will i *technically* be required to Part P it or is this OK for me to do without.
That's impossible to answer until you define what you mean by the special term "*technically*".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back