Russ Andrews super Fuse !!

BQW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know different products from the Russ Andrews web site have been discussed on this Forum with some healthy scepticism.
But I now see they are retailing the, "Russ Andrews super Fuse ", a replacement for your standard BS1362 at £25 a pop !
A pretend sales enquiry, assured me they comply with BS1362, but no other technical information was forthcoming.
So leaving aside the spurious claims, that a different fuse can improve the frequency response of your Audio system, how far could a manufacturer of plug top fuses deviate from the standard construction before it no longer complied to BS1362 ?
For example could you have a anti surge or quick blow BS1362 ?
My interpretation of the requirements would be you cant.
But most of all, I wish they would back up the claims with some technical evidence .

Sponsored Links
So if one was to brake an example it open and examine, the conductor, what would be so different about that strand of wire, that it improves the sound quality of the piece of equipment that previously had it fitted in IT`S 13A PLUG.
Incidentally they also do a gold plated version at £75 each ! Is this supposed to reduce the skin affect at 50HZ !! or lower the resistance at the points of contact in the PLUG.
Informed and sensible debate please.

Sponsored Links
Their fuses do NOT comply with BS1362, as from the images on their website the marking colour is incorrect.

Regardless of what else is in them, they will do absolutely nothing for the performance of any item of equipment, audio or not.
The only people that believe they do anything are those who have purchased them.

according to a "friend" in Oregon the world is flat. He really does believe it. As a result of the earth being flat there can only be one time zone.
Hmmm. Time zones are a man-made concept, but there are more fundamental issues than that. Why does he think that, if you speak to him on the phone, the sun may be shinning in Oregon but not in the UK, or vice versa? Does he believe that you are on opposite sides of the flat earth (i.e. that the 'edge' is somewhere between you and him)?

He presumably also has some difficulties in understanding/explaining some routes taken by ships and aircraft?

Does he believe, maybe even fear, that he is close to the 'edge' (or that you are)??

Kind Regards, John

Why does he think that, if you speak to him on the phone,

He has a solid mental block against accepting some facts. He has phoned me in the early evening ( Oregon time ) and simple cannot accept that is 2 o'clock in the UK.

It is quite possible that he has never been more than a 100 miles from his home.

He is an historian and is highly respected for the work he does.

He has a solid mental block against accepting some facts. He has phoned me in the early evening ( Oregon time ) and simple cannot accept that is 2 o'clock in the UK.

It is quite possible that he has never been more than a 100 miles from his home.

He is an historian and is highly respected for the work he does.

"2D or NOT-2D" that is the question

I struggle to see what there is to debate - just as I would in relation to a 'debate' about whether the earth is flat or suchlike!

Kind Regards, John
The debate is their claim that a different fuse in the 13 Amp attached to the Audio equipment can improve the sound quality , a claim which I think most Electrical Engineers would dismiss as complete nonsense.

The debate is their claim that a different fuse in the 13 Amp attached to the Audio equipment can improve the sound quality , a claim which I think most Electrical Engineers would dismiss as complete nonsense.
Exactly - that's why there is really nothing to debate, any more than there is any point in 'debating' a claim that the earth is 'flat'. As you say, complete nonsense (in both cases :) ).

Kind Regards, John

These "Superfuses" are just Bussman fuses that they have subjected to a "super burn-in" process & rebranded. Probably sticking some high frequency signal through them or something.
Whatever they perceived to make them sound better cost £250k in research (allegedly).

"Russ Andrews super Fuse ", a replacement for your standard BS1362 at £25 a pop !

a bargain compared to this from the above linked nordost site

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-red-high-level-uk-13a-fuse

to me it looks like a normal 13A fuse with heatshrink sleeving over the ceramic bit....

and dont forget that the ring main has to be rewired with this at £92 a metre
https://www.russandrews.com/russ-andrews-superior-mains-install-cable/

and does anyone recognise the make of socket they have added an earth terminal to in this pic, cause it looks cheaply made to me but not cheap to buy
https://www.russandrews.com/images/products/thumbnail/19359996970_1.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back