Rust Inhibitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it essential that we add inhibitors into radiators to prevent rust or can we get away without adding it in?

I'm getting confused as to what to get, as the inhibitors I have seen in B&Q require replacing every so often - is that essential? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes, inhibitor is very important as its protect your system,water ruin everything in the end ! We need more info,combi or non-combo boiler etc.

Perhaps its something to do with unknown Government regs. Put radiators on the outsides of houses to save them gritting the streets at this time of year ;) :D

Central heating systems have continuous chemical reactions taking place, one of these is to turn steel from the radiators into black iron oxide. It can get the oxygen it needs from the water. Inhibitors slow down this reaction, but it can't stop it completely. The excess inhibitor in the system gradually gets used as these reactions occur, so in the end there is no excess left. Then you need to add some more.

Even if you pay top rate for the injector type of diy inhibitor, it will cost you less than £10 a year to prevent excessive corrosion, or 20p a week. Is this expensive maintenance?

This need for replacing the inhibitor is why you have to replace the antifreeze in your car's cooling system. (You could pour half a cup of inhibitor into the radiator for the same result).

Put radiators on the outsides of houses to save them gritting the streets at this time of year

Hmmm....that's certainly confusion. :eek: Stop drinking the inhibitor! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
Government regs. Put radiators on the outsides of houses to save them gritting the streets at this time of year ;) :D
Does that mean my council tax bill would be lower if I decided to go ahead ? Don't want to put my radiator outside if I'm wasting money :)

oilman said:
Inhibitors slow down this reaction, but it can't stop it completely. The excess inhibitor in the system gradually gets used as these reactions occur, so in the end there is no excess left. Then you need to add some more. quote]

Hi,

Do you have to do this yearly and drain the down the system?

Many Thanks

Don't drain the system, (which is why you will see DO NOT DRAIN stickers on systems.

Add another dose every two or three years.

Does it matter if you add a difference make of brand inhibitor or should you stick to the same make or are they basically the same.I normally drain the system down if it a difference brand thinking of a mixed chemical reaction or am I talking rubbish ? :)

Also, can you over doses it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back