Rust-like stain around taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently had the mixer taps on the bath changed and, as a result, there now is a brown rust-like stain on the bath around one of the feeds to the mixer. I can try to clean it with water or jif and some of it does comes off, but it just comes back. The bath is Ariston, about 10 years old, feels and sounds metallic. Other than this one circle of 'rust stain' it is in perfect condition.

Any ideas how to get rid of this or 'repair' it?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
jenolite liquid (rust removing acid) from Car accessory shops.

Don't use Kurust or pastes.

Depending on severity of rust, you can rub it with a green pan scourer or a toothbrush. If you need to soak the stain, wet a bit of kitchen roll with the acid and flop it on to keep it wet.

Use rubber gloves and eye protection as it will burn painfully.

If the stain keeps coming back there must be exposed iron so you will need to de-rust and repaint it.

The rust will be being formed by lack of correct or ill fitting washers between the new taps and the bath.
Water will seep through to the tap hole where the enamel is poor and so rust the exposed metal.
This will get worse and eventually spread out from the taps.
I know this because i learnt the hard way resulting in purchasing and installing a new bath. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back