Rust on stainless steel cooker hood after cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After cleaning my stainless steel cooker hood, the next day I noticed extensive rust marks. The cleaning product I used is one I've used before (even the same bottle) and a soft sponge (which was brand new - maybe there's a chemical on new sponges?). There are some rust marks on the stainless steel stove top too, which I had cleaned after the cooker hood, but they very few and they can only be seen if you look really closely. Clearly my cooker hood isn't stainless steel, or is poor quality.

What can I do to remove the rust?

Charlie

Rust on cooker hood.JPG

Sponsored Links
you avoided telling us what the cleaning product was. Perhaps it removes limescale and is acidic kitchen cleaner. That's one of the things that damages the protective oxidation from stainless, especially if you don't then clean away the residue with a clean damp cloth and then a dry one.

The instructions for your hood probably say a soft cloth, water and detergent.

You can polish it up with a green nylon scourer and a spot of washing up liquid, rub it dry with a cotton vest.

You must only rub in straight lines in the direction of the brushed finish, never never never across the brushing or in circles. The scourer will leave fine lines, but if they are regular and straight it will not look much worse than the original.

If you can get a white scourer, they are softer and will mark less. Don't use a black one, which is coarser. An old scourer is softer than a new one.

If you want to spend more money, and a lot more time, buy a tube of Solvol Autosol (used by car enthusiasts) which is a fine metal polish. Again, rub only on the direction of the brushing and never in circles.

you avoided telling us what the cleaning product was. Perhaps it removes limescale and is acidic kitchen cleaner. That's one of the things that damages the protective oxidation from stainless, especially if you don't then clean away the residue with a clean damp cloth and then a dry one.

nes, but if they are regular and straight it will not look much worse than the original.

It was Mr Muscle kitchen spray, and I wiped it dry afterwards with kitchen towel - same product and method I’ve used many times.

might have been the Sodium Hydroxide.

Stainless will not rust if exposed to water and air, it forms an oxide layer on the surface. Usually rust and corrosion occurs when a chemical attacks this thin protective film. I've know descaling cleaner do it, there will be other chemicals.

There are various qualities of stainless available, it is sometimes said that the cheap Chinese supplies are not as good as (much more expensive) German products used in engineering applications and some chefs knives. A better variety is made for marine use, as common stainless does not withstand salt well.

I've found the green pad, WUL and rubbing with a damp cotton vest keeps sinks shiny.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Seen that etching pattern on many cookers and ss extract hoods.

Bleach and any chlorine based solutions are a very big No No.

The better quality ss finish will have more resistance to the etching,the cheap chinese import products sometimes have very poor final finish and its easily to remove the shiny protective surface.

Who is the manufacture of your extract hood ?

The cooker hood was in place when I moved in - no details of the manufacturer, although the motor unit inside it was a Baumatic AG600SS. I would not be surprised if it is poor quality since most of the fittings in the flat were minimal quality, or poorly maintained, or both. For example, I discovered that the cooker extractor unit was missing the carbon filters (it doesn't have an external vent) so was just stirring the air around <roll eyes>. I'll try the tips above to improve the stainless steel finish and hopefully that will help. Any other advice is also welcome.

Baumatic are pants. I have their stainless steel hob- with stainless steel upstands and rings.

Most people that I know just wipe their stainless steel kitchen equipment (lightly) with baby oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back