Rust stains through pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't seen this exact topic answered before - can anyone advise/help? I have a 1930's semi with the back and side walls covered in pebbledash which has been applied via an expanded metal lattice over the original render. It looks like the screws holding the metal lattice are rusting so I have ugly patches/staining showing through. I want to paint the pebbledash to disguise the rust stains but am concerned that the rust will still bleed through and I'll be touching up constantly - can I treat the rusted areas first prior to what will be a task and a half to paint the pebbledash? Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is a bit of a sticky one to solve. We tyroleaned a block of maisonettes 15 years ago we had to kango all the old spar-dash off and the scratch coat back to the brickwork. We then had to drill holes all over and insert expanding wall ties, all stainless, we then had to cover the whole of the building with stainless steel expanding metal sheets and drill and plug the walls and put s/steel screws and washers in to hold the mesh. We then "scut" coated the whole lot scratched it, floated it and then tyroleaned it. The point I am making is this cost a hell of a lot of money to have done, but it is as good today as it was when we did it.Galvanised mesh and screws and washers cost a third of the price of stainless and as you have found out will rust eventually. There maybe something on the market that you can put on top of the rust stains to hide them and then paint over, but I have'nt heard of anything like that. Then where I live we have'nt got half the products that are on the market in England. But if I was you I would put this post on the "Painting and Decorating Forum"..Good Luck... ;)

Thanks for your reply, I'll move this into the painting and decorating forum as suggested - ultimately I will have the spardash removed if absolutely necessary but I'm hoping not - cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back