rusted flynuts on toilet ?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right...onto the next set of problems.
I need to separate the 2 parts of the toilet but:

(a) one of the flynuts on the bottom is severly rusted and broke when I tried to turn it with a spanner ! :cry:

(b) one of the flathead screws used to secure the cistern to the wall won't move as the head of it is a bit messed up. Just turning a screwdriver in it is twisting bits of metal out of place.

Do I hacksaw through the lot of these ? Any other things to try first...

Sponsored Links
they all do that sir...

if you can get a hacksaw blade in, fine. If you have a dremel and can get a cutting disk in, also fine.

I assume from what you say that you need to refit the old cistern after fittting a new syphon or something. Otherwise you could dismantle it with a big hammer ;)

I love stainless steel screws.

Yeah, I need to replace the doughnut.
I'm not sure I can even get a junior hacksaw in there.

With one of the fly nuts, it won't even turn. When you turn it, the whole bolt turns with it !!!!!!

Any other options ? Maybe a mini hacksaw without the square metal frame on top ?

Sponsored Links
"DrGonzo"

Any other options ?

Make sure you can isolate the cold water supply to your toilet quickly & have new toilet on standby :cry:

it's already isolated and the cistern drained.

Guys, this is impossible !!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sawing throught the nut and still not even a third of the way. I'm not even sure I'll get all of the nut once done because of the angle I have to saw at. Eurgh......

as a side note, I can't see the bolts that these nuts are attached to, i.e. the bolt isn't on the inside of the cistern ? How is it attached ?

might buy a dremel tool if that does the job and many others.
Can you get these in England ?

DrGonzo said:
...Sawing throught the nut and still not even a third of the way.....

You mean, you're nearly a third through it already. Just carry on until you've finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back