rusted THREADS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do some diy on my car and the threads of the bolt are rusted. I can use penetrating oils to soften the rust, but that will not actually remove the rust from the thread. can anyone offer advice on how to remove the rust from the threads please?

Sponsored Links
Removing bolts cleans off a lot of rust , a bit of LM grease on them before refitting.There is no need to remove all traces of rust, though you can use wire brush to clean up.

The thing is that the rust on the thread demands more power to remove the bolt in the first place. In order to remove the bolt without much effort, I need the rust to be taken of the thread first.

Penetrating oil does just that and allows removal, there will be rust in the thread which is not accessible, so no way to remove but should not be necessary.Any really stiff, heat can be applied to release.

Sponsored Links
Removing rusty nuts can sometimes be a tricky process and a half-turn off, half-turn back, half-turn off, repeated over and over can be a way of easing the nuts off if particularly stiff with rust. Accompanied by liberal doses of penetrating fluid - I have always trusted Plus Gas.

Copper grease would be a better option when refitting. Be careful not to overtighten greased nuts and bolts. It's all too easy to overdo it and strip a thread.

there is a product called Plus-Gas which is fantastic for rusted threads. More expensive than penetrating oil but a can lasts a long time.

If you have a soldering iron, touch the tip to the head of the screw. When the scrwe gets hot it will tend to break the rust bond.

No flames or blowlamps under cars.

Get yourself a can of copper grease to put on threads before you reassemble, and a selection of popular sizes of zinc-plated screws so you don't have to use the old rusty ones. I often paint screw heads in exposed conditions, and use stainless on the bike.

Get your self a little die set. Not that expensive for a set that will do the job. Once you have got the bolt out give it a good wire brush, plenty of oil and run the die down it. Also as stated before copper slip is a life saver. Works a treat.

As for getting the bolt out tread carefully or you will be drilling out and re-tapping if it snaps. That's a fun job :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back