Rusted toilet seat bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet seat wing nuts are rusted solid. Cant budge them.

Have you had this problem and gotten around it?

Its a friends toilet and even after soaking with WD40 they just wont budge..

Sponsored Links
Try some diesel, just wipe it on with a paint brush.

Can you get a dremel type tool in to grind the nut off or at least put a split in it?
Be careful with heat as they usually have a rubber/plastic washer acting as a cushion. If they catch fire the smell is terrible and not advisable to breathe the fumes.
Patience is the key, because if you try to be rough you could damage the pan.

Sponsored Links
No wiggle room to bend it.

Not got a dremel tool.

If i had a multi tool that may do the trick.

What about cutting the top side of the fitting? The bit that the hinges sit on? Hacksaw it?

Get new seat. I have many of the hard plastic type in white and they last for a life time as do their plastic fixings. They are like new after bleached.

Use a hacksaw blade, from the top is easier.
Csre full not to scratch the pot though.
Then replace with stainless steel fittings or plastic.

I use a hacksaw blade, held in a rag. It's an awful job.

I strongly recommend you get a few stainless coach bolts and nuts for the future. IIRC they are M6 size but please check. You need to use an anti-seize on the threads before assembly as stainless can do that if the nuts are the same metal. Wax will do if you don't use stainless enough to buy a can.

Get new seat. I have many of the hard plastic type in white and they last for a life time as do their plastic fixings. They are like new after bleached.

Trying to get the old one off as per thread title etc..

Why not post pics showing the fixings below & above?

FWIW:
Stay away from any dangerous chemicals - imagine if lay on the floor, & looking up at the fixing a couple of drops of
hydrochloric acid drip down onto your face?
A few fixings, even wing nut fixings, are sometimes located inside pot recesses, & are tight to get at - anyway, a pic will show what you've got.

The manufacturers are so cheap assed, they always do this.
They know that the fixing rust away they always supply something cheap.
Either that or they are plastic and don't give a good enough fixing.

I remember the old way using a hacksaw, took ages, then using a multi tool and getting through it in seconds. They do plastic replacements IIRC.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back