RUSTED WC WING NUTS?? How to get off??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet doesn't flush easily and sometimes takes a few flushed to opearte the siphon. So the diaphragm has obviously gone.

I have bought a new siphon, the correct size, etc and know how to fit it. The problem is, the wing nuts on my WC (close-coupled) are hard t get off! The scews are all rusted and very very stuff.

I used WD40 and manager to undo ONE of the nuts, but the other wing nut is harder to get at and also very stiff. Someone suggested sawing through the screw with a hacksaw. Is this OK to do?

I don't want to crack my pan!! Also can replacement wing nut and wing nut screws be bought easily? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
As you are replacing the syphon anyway cut this out so giving you more room inside the citern to allow you to drill the head off the bolt. I would have thought that sawing the bolt wasn't possible if access is tight. I am assuming that you can't get any grips on the nut to graunch it off?
Once the head of the bolt is removed you'll have sussed it and replacement bolts are readily available.

thanks for your advice-will go to wickes soon to buy replacement wing nuts and screws!! i can get access to the other wing nut but not enough to get a wrench around it to force it open!!

Don't forget that you will need new seals for the bolts thru the cistern!

Sponsored Links
seals? do you mean the small washer that is between the bottom of the cistern/pan where the wing nut screws up to? if so the one i have already moved is all rusted too! should i get a plastic or rubber washer as replacement???!

Depending on the type of cistern you probably need a new doughnut washer kit !!!

Tony

I would have thought that sawing the bolt wasn't possible if access is tight.
I find that it is possible more often than not. Junior hacksaw job. A dremel drill fitted with a cutting disc is another way; but something I have never had to resort to.
Older cisterns are fitted with a plate beneath the syphon to hold the cistern in place so drilling through from inside the cistern is not always possible.

the donught washer isn' leaking or anything though?!!! do you think i should buy a new one anyway-they only cost about 1.50!! ??

between the siphon nut there is a metal plate that is held tight/in place by the wing nuts i pressume? the siphon nut then sits tightly into the donught washer at the back of the pan. is this the normal common type of close coupled pan??!!

ok thanks for your help all. can i buy a new plate as well as a new donut washer/wing nut set from wickes/b&q or do i need to go to a plumbing merchant shop? i might as well replace the whole lot and be done with it!

I would have got stressed, smashed the complete toilet by and fitted a new one by now!

Plate and wingnut sets usually come with the syphon. If you have problems email me I have some kicking about. Doughnut washers are readily available in most plumbers merchants.

Plate and wingnut sets usually come with the syphon. If you have problems email me I have some kicking about. Doughnut washers are readily available in most plumbers merchants.

NEVER GOT PLATE &WINGNUT SET with any syphon i ever bought ,did i get ripped off or summat???? :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back