Rustins Knotting Flashing through solvent based paint?!?! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got an issue where I have treated every knot on a shepherds hut that I'm about to repaint (same colour) and am 100% sure that it will flash through as also treated some internal wood with the same solution and covered with a darker paint.

Is there a product that I could go over the Rustins Knotting with prior to repainting?

The paint that I've been using is Dulux Ultimate Opaque Paint (@ £100 per tin!), that is solvent based and supposably suitable.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks.

IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

Sponsored Links
No idea about compatibility for outdoors: I used zinnser bin matt white shellac spray on knots before painting untreated wood / fire surround / architraves.

Worked perfectly, no bleed through.

Maybe?

Thanks guys is this the same product, spot outdoors? If so I have used it before on some painted brickwork outdoors and it melted through when painted over.

Just wanted to check as I'm a little reluctant to use again and have the same issue. Thanks.

IMG_0178 2.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG

Sponsored Links
I used this - the shellac spray.

No experience with the tinned stuff. Not sure if its the same or not.

Didn't melt when I applied gloss (both oil and water based, on different things). Really resinous pine knots didn't bleed or flash.

upload_2021-5-5_21-12-58.png

Thanks mate, do you feel that it will hide the already applied knotting solution?

Unsure. Worth a tenner for a punt? Try it on a plank, then, overpaint with the Dulux?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back