rusty metal pasterboard edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
excusemy lack of the correct terminology but here goes

my bathroom has a window which has a windowsill and is set back into the wall.

where the plasterboard joins there appears to be a metal rod running down which i assume is to achieve a nice edge.

this has gone rusty and resulted in the plaster bubbling on top

any cure for these or ways to cover them up for futureproofing

Sponsored Links
Scrape it back as much as you can and then, if the rust is bad, dab a bit of car rust cure over it...then prime with metal primer..then re paint.

Its often caused by the plasterers trowel scraping the galvanising off the beading...but as its where it is, you should alos check that there is no damp coming in from outside which can also cause rusting.

Gaz:

What you're seeing is called "corner bead". It's not a rod, but rather an "L" shaped piece of sheet metal that covers the cut edges of the plasterboard on each side of the corner.

I occasionally get that problem on my windows, so I use white vinyl cornerbead instead of metal cornerbead instead. The vinyl is superior in my view because if it ever comes loose (from a hard knock to the corner), then it'll snap back into place and it's just a matter of sneaking some glue under it to glue it back in place. With metal corner bead, once it's dented you can't straigten it out and the only fix is replacement. But, even cutting through metal cornerbead to replace some of it can be a trying experience because if the hack saw blade grabs the metal, you can pull more of it loose, in which case you have to start cutting again, this time further up to cut off what you bent with the hacksaw. The metal is paper thin and it's kinda stiff, and can definitely be a pain to work with.

nice one guys, its a very steamy small bathroom so its probably just that rather than outside moisture

Sponsored Links
Those pvc corner beads never really took off here Nester...lots of problems with our plaster adhering to them...on big problem I have found with the galv metel ones though is that the plaster reacts with the galv and it can sometimes bleach the emulsion that has been used on top of it..

Same problem with trunking buried in the wall...some people use a plastic cover then plaster over it...it often blows becasue the plaster wont stick to it.....

A right pain!...but it keeps painters in work by having to fill it I spose!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back