Rusty towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
We refurbished our bathroom last year. The guy who fitted it also supplied it. Recently we had noticed that the towel rail is going rusty. I contacted the guy and he has send me the invoice so I can contact the shop. The shop has told me that they will refund the money but only to him and that they haven't got this radiator in stock anymore. I have looked online but it seems to me that they have stopped making that size. I'm worried that if I buy another radiator I will be left with 4 holes in the wall in my nearly new bathroom. I'm not sure what to do. Please tell me what do you think

Sponsored Links
Reasearch!

Look at alot of towel rails online and find out what positions the holes will be.

But, even if you have to reposition the holes, cant you just put a bit of polly filler in and paint over it? You'll never know the holes were there.

If it's a ladder towel rad, they have mounts that are 3 different pieces. This means that you can position the mounting bracket anywhere on the rad as they come in three pieces and the outer 2 bits grip through the bars with a screw through the middle.

You may find you can use the existing fittings if the bars are a similar diameter.

ae235

The guy is saying that it will be more expensive for me to pay him to take radiator back and fit new one then to buy new radiator (I cannot take it back as the invoice is in his name). He supplied and fitted radiator should it be his resposibitily?? Should he do it for free??

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, difficult one. It's not really his fault that the rad is now rusting, especially as a refund will be given by the supplier.

Is it his responsibility to replace is the question, not really I'm afraid, as he was paid to fit the radiator, if it was leaking or if there was something he had done that had caused the issue then yes, unfortunately rusting isn't down to anything he's done.

If it was me though, there is a thing called goodwill and customer service and compromises could be reached.

You didn't buy the total rail from the shop you bought it from the plumber and your contact is with him. If the device is now faulty it is his responsibility to put it right and telling you to talk to the shop is just so that he doesn't have to deal with it.

That said it has been my experience that towel radiators rust because there is inadequate ventilation in the rooms they are in and they stay damp too long. Are you sure it's a faulty radiator and not caused by something else?

We have a humidistat installed in the bathroom and window open most of the time. I dont know what else we can do. It is a bathroom ...

If your towel rad isn't on all the time when showering/bathing you will always get condensation on the cold pipes IMO. I don't think there's much you can do about it. If the chrome plating isn't the best then a little rusting underneath is inevitable, see it all the time. Just keep it clean and polished to minimise.

Did the plumber do the work within 12 months, if so then you have a full quarantee from the plumber. These are your rights.

The date on the plumbing supplies might be over a year old but it depends what date his invoice is.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back