S.53 Error Vaillant Ecotec 438

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me, as this issue is driving me and my family mad,below are the facts.

We live in a 5 bed detached house C. 2500sqft, we have 16 radiators in the house: 3 Towel rails, 7 down stairs, and 6 upstairs.
The downstairs and upstairs radiators are all double thickness.

We have an vented system (header in the loft), with a hot water tank on the 1st floor, and the boiler on the ground floor. The hot water is fed by a 15mm pipe.

We have the S.53 error normally around the time of both heating and hot water coming on at the same time, which eventually makes them stop altogether. This issue does not appear to arise over the summer when there is no heating on, but also seldom arises when just the heat is on and no hot water. Also sometimes the whole thing just works fine...

We have had British Gas out a few times, they tinker with it, and sure enough its fine for a few days, then off again.

The boiler settings are:
D.0 - 27
D.1 - 10
D.2 - 20
D.70 - 0
D.71 - 78
D.72 - 80
D.73 - 0
D.75 - 45
D.77 - 20
D.78 - 80

(i can provide any others if you think useful).

The tank is about 150 litres, and quite old, and has the on tank thermostat at 50. The dials on the boiler for heat and hot water temp are both turned as high as possible.

Please help !!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
S53 is not an error per se, it's a common issue with these boilers unfortunately! How old is it?

Thanks. It works fine when it works :)

It was installed in about may 2014.

S53 is a status code , your boiler should still be under warranty call Valliant

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I did speak to them a couple of times, and they told me that code is as a result of settings specific to my own system and the boiler is working fine so no issue.

I have read other messages on this forum, and feedback seems to work with some success amending the settings accordingly, which is why I posted mine.

Change d0 to 20, moniter d40-41 try an get about a 20deg differential, thats a starting point

What controls are connected? S Plan or Y Plan? System bypass fitted and set up? Pump wired correctly to boiler?

Do as @Bunnyman says, it should certainly help in the short term.

A 6m pump would struggle to be big enough for this system. My bets on pipework sizing (should be 28mm off of boiler), and circulating pump too small I'm afraid.

when you have Bunnyman and 831 Bunny both advising you , you would be well advised to take their advise

Thanks for all your help.

The pump is quite new about 18mths old a Grundfos, it was originally wired upside down, but has since been corrected.
Ups2 15-50/60 130p/n, setting is on 3.

I'm sorry I have no idea where to begin regarding the s plan or y plan.

I have a hive system for controls and a little grey honey well metal box near boiler and another one near the hot water tank.

I went to bed before changing d.0 to 20 it is now at 23 though with d.40 at 43 and d41 at 30. Will change it to 20 now (perhaps stup I'd question, but I presume a lower d.0 would increase the gap between d.40 and d.41)

Also piped from boiler are 28mm.

Thanks all for your help.

Now at d.0 being 20 it seems to be motoring fine d.40 is 65 and d.41 is 38. obviously difference is slightly higher than 20. should I increase d.0 to get that gap to 20?

No reduce it, if the diff between d40-41 is more than 25 it will go s53 limp home mode. Its not getting rid of the heat quick enough and is overheating either through to small pipes, wrong pump or badly designed system. Get ur installer to look you cant fix that urself, try d0 at 18kw, it will keep u noce and warm for time being, s53 only gives u about 7ke limp home mode

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back