s*ds law.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just got a speeding ticket posted to me :evil: :evil: 32mph in a 30 limit.it was last bank holiday with the 2 kids + dog in car & i spotted the marked ford transit van and knew i was'nt speeding.but it was a handheld radar and was before the van.soooooooooooo annoying as i went to bradford the other day and everyone is doing 90+ on the m'way.i even got it up to a indicated 144mph but then the turbo stopped boosting and made a whooshing sound(wastegate or something) so had to back off.the motorway was clear,good visability,no other traffic,but to get a £60 fine + 3 points for 2mph :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
I got done many years ago for doing 33 mph but where do you draw the line because I was speeding. Doesn't matter how you look at it, anything over 30 mph is speeding!

I thought we are allow 10% of the speedo :confused:

masona said:
I got done many years ago for doing 33 mph but where do you draw the line because I was speeding. Doesn't matter how you look at it, anything over 30 mph is speeding!

I thought we are allow 10% of the speedo :confused:
I think I read somewhere that the 10% speedo error must be a plus, so you could be going slower than you think you are. Dont know about you but I'm 2mph at the traffic lights !

i always thought it was 10%+1 of the speed limit?

but still, 32 in a 30 is pretty pointless. is there any evidence? demand the calibration cert

Sponsored Links
as andrew says ask for the calibration readings and also the operators licence, as he should have an in date licence to operate it. It always used to be 10% +2 mph. To do you for that makes a mockery of the whole thing

Home Office guidelines are +10% +2mph, however it is not standard practice across all police forces. Didn't that Welsh g*t have a zero tolerance policy? I.e. treat it as a limit rather than a target, everyone should drive at 29 etc?

i went to bradford the other day and everyone is doing 90+
Those motorways near Bradford can be pretty quick. I came down a sliproad onto the M62 (I think) going at nearly 100, and nearly hit some clot doing 110 in the inside lane of an otherwise totally empty motorway!!!

Now I'm certainly not saying I was driving sensibly, nor that people would be expecting traffic of such speed to be joining the motorway. But when driving at 110mph I reckon you have probably already incurred the displeasure of those who disapprove of hogging the middle lane! :LOL:

AdamW said:
I.e. treat it as a limit rather than a target, everyone should drive at 29 etc?

Well, that's exactly what it is, a maximum speed limit. It seems to vary from county to county. I got caught for speeding, but was 'fortunate' to be offered a speed workshop instead of receiving points. We were told that speedos were incorrect by as much as +-10% and so for our county, the camera trigger is set at limit + 10% + an undisclosed figure. The chap running the course did however mention that, and I quote, "36MPH is the lowest trigger, so work it out for yourself". I guess that was before they introduced 20MPH zones in the villages around here.

How is the 30 mph speed limit arrived at anyway? Obviously, the statistical chance of being fatally wounded by a car increases with the cars speed. Conversely, the risk of mortality decreases with speed. Extrapolated to it's logical conclusion, then at 0 mph, no fatalities, unless of course you happen to have a dicky heart and see a drop dead gorgeous babe in a Ferrari / Aston Martin / Lambo / McLaren (delete as appropriate or insert own choice of car).

So what is the accepted death rate ? There must be one.

Officially approved driving instructors are still instructing students to drive at speed limit plus 10% in order to satisfy the examiner and pass.

Is that a catch 22?

Not sure about that one! I took my test in 1997, and I was instructed to drive at 29.5mph in a 30, 39.5 in a 40 etc. It is actually possible to drive at those indicated speeds in a typical instructors' car (large dials, s*d all power)

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
just got a speeding ticket posted to me :evil: :evil: 32mph in a 30 limit.it was last bank holiday with the 2 kids + dog in car & i spotted the marked ford transit van and knew i was'nt speeding.but it was a handheld radar and was before the van.soooooooooooo annoying as i went to bradford the other day and everyone is doing 90+ on the m'way.i even got it up to a indicated 144mph but then the turbo stopped boosting and made a whooshing sound(wastegate or something) so had to back off.the motorway was clear,good visability,no other traffic,but to get a £60 fine + 3 points for 2mph :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

perhaps what goes around comes around: you do 90+ but don't get caught, you then do 32 and you do get caught.

Does anyone know what the fine is for 90+ on motorway? Am'I right something like 3 months ban?

the road in question was the A1031 in lincolnshire.a 4 mile long road with no houses/schools/ with wide grass borders and no hedges.but before that road starts theres a junction with a school/church/shop with no crossing in a built up residential area.but no speed cameras. :evil: the sign should say "POLICE CAMERAS,PLEASE MAKE CHEQUES PAYABLE TO THE LABOUR PARTY"

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
the sign should say "POLICE CAMERAS,PLEASE MAKE CHEQUES PAYABLE TO THE LABOUR PARTY"
Can't have that can we because my income tax would have to up ;)

and i always thought it was local councils that put up the cameras? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back