s*ds law.

I know its friday 13th but have just recieved 2 more fines on the same road today.one for 37mph the other for 42mph.I saw the camera this sunday and turned around before the van.2 tickets 1min apart.total 9 points + £££££££££clean licence for the last 23 years :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
I know its friday 13th but have just recieved 2 more fines on the same road today.one for 37mph the other for 42mph.I saw the camera this sunday and turned around before the van.2 tickets 1min apart.total 9 points + £££££££££clean licence for the last 23 years :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'd get yourself a pushbike if i was you ;)

You could say you were startled by the flash in your rear view mirror from the first camera that caused you to push your foot down onto the accelerator. ;)

Sponsored Links
there was no flash?just a camera in the back of a transit.would be terrible if i lost control of my car at 29mph and hit the camera van that was parked on the bend then sue the police for damages etc...... :evil:

I feel safer walking while drivers are concentratining on road ahead not at their speedo's. These road safety people just lie to safeguard their cosy jobs.
People who drive normal ie 35/40 etc help to keep roads flowing free.
If we all obeyed limits roads would just sieze up.
:idea: :idea: Lets have a drive to rule.

When did road safety ever come into it though? Stealth taxes again I'm afraid. The Gov wins twice, once for the fine and then the second time when you tell your insurance company, as you must. Your premium and hence your insurance premium tax both go up! Old Gordo wins yet again.

There are a couple of these mobile camera's that work near me and in both cases the operatives are breaking the law in the process. The first obstructs the road on a bend with double centre white lines, the second on the hardshoulder of the motorway, hidden just over a hill. Why are the police above the law when working these tax collecting duties?

Thermo, could a citizen report and insist on a prosecution against a police vehicle doing this, or are they above the law and can they do what they want?

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:

How I feel for you. See here, don't know if its any good.
http://www.abd.org.uk/righttosilence.htm

This country is being destroyed .. I drive at the posted limit ... I watch vehicles catching up with me, sometimes catching the mouthing, twisted face and gesticulating arms .... Why ? I guess the person has been held up by traffic calming etc gone mad ... So now he (never noticed a she) is behind me we are driving at the posted limit, he is raging, eventually overtakes, arms waving head nodding and shaking ... I just smile and drive on ... What can one do ? I am driving at a ridiculously slow pace for the road and conditions ... But my licence is clean and no Ins claims since beginning in '63, mo-bikes, real Cooper s, sportscars (hence 'in the frame') .. etc .. I must have been doing something right .. certainly not driving to stupid limits -- pre-camera days -- not aware of 'lost it buffoons' behind me then or drivers entering roundabouts in belligerent, pugnacious, give way to nothing manner.
They boast again, of 40% drop in fatalities at camera sites .. but o/all fatalities are increasing .. isn't it so frustrating to know that the stats are being quoted in such a misleading manner ?

Hey, there was a fatal accident, several years back, on the local bypass, I chucked a fag packet on the verge nearby, whilst held in resultant hold up - thus, I say, my action has prevented recurrence of life loss at that spot ... Let us commence fag packetting the accident sites !! .. the balance of probabilities will take care of the rest, no doubt ;)
:mad: :eek:

d & j, they shouldnt be parking where they are breaking the law. There is an exemption, but it is only applied in an emergency situation. You could make complaints about it but no you couldnt make a prosecution.

As for the comments by trying, driving normally at 35/40. Yes we all do it, most of us without thinking, but the point is if you hit someone whilst doing that speed, the chances of their survival are enormously decreased. I dont agree with all the speed cameras and the way it is done, it alienates people and ****es them off. When i used to be in the police i used a thing called discretion. It meant you could give out a ticket or a *******ing when it was appropriate (and it had to be really appropriate for me to do it. It alos gave me the chance to point out the error of what the driver was doing in a polite and straight forward way so that they could understand the implications of it. I can hand on heart say i never gave out a ticket and had someone rant and rave at me. In the main people were usually polite and thanked me for the way i dealt with them. That doesnt happen now with the cameras. People dont learn from it, it just puts their back up and yes i think its a way to earn money

Officially approved driving instructors are still instructing students to drive at speed limit plus 10% in order to satisfy the examiner and pass.
My daughter passed her test today at 12:30 (third attempt). On her previous attempt, one of her negative points was "undue hesitation" for doing 38mph in a 40mph limit. When she complained that "that was just 2mph below the legal limit" the examiner said that he could not let it pass as a queue had developed behind her, so her tardy progress was obviously creating a hazard. When she mentioned it to her instructor, he agreed that the "accepted limit" for that particular road would be nearer 50mph. Today she went down the same road (still a 40mph limit) at 50mph. She passed with flying colours :eek:

I remember when I was learning to drive, my brothers always advised me, that "If you are being followed by Old Bill, make sure you are exceding the limit by about 10mph, otherwise they'll get suspicious and pull you to find out what you're so worried about".

The problem is that speeding is a regional thing. Obviously in Essex, it's not just common, but positively institutionalised. When I'm out of my own area, I take other road users behaviour as an indication of the prevaling culture.

It would be nice if we could have some consistancy around the country. Personally I believe that MOST speed limits should be raised, and then enforced, consistently across the country.

When you consider the improvements to car handling and braking that have evolved over the last 40 years, why are we still restricted to 70mph on motorways. I'm sure that 100mph in most modern cars would be safer than even 60mph in an old Ford Anglia.

That was 37 and 43 in a 30 mph zone? I doubt your speedo is that far out.

Yep, I agree the situation with driving instructors and cameras is becoming ridiculous. More and more people are getting tickets for doing 42 in a 40 zone but they are taught to drive faster than this. Wholly absurd. You simply cannot fail someone for doing 38 and then fine them for doing 42.

Apparently speed cameras suffer from regression to the mean. Which of course everyone understands. But what it means is that mathematically if you choose some random event which is happening more often than average, then in the future it is likely (mathematically certain in fact) to return to the average rate.

So if you choose a location which over the last 5 years has had more than average number of accidents, it is very likely in the next 5 years the numbers will return to the average. So pick a spot with above average accidents, plant a tree within 100m of the spot, and magically in the next 5 years the accident rate will go down.

So if you actually choose to put cameras at spots with higher than average accidents you would expect that recorded accidents at those spots will go down but total accident rate will be completely unchanged. You have to look at the total rate, not the local rate.

masona said:
I got done many years ago for doing 33 mph but where do you draw the line because I was speeding. Doesn't matter how you look at it, anything over 30 mph is speeding!

I thought we are allow 10% of the speedo :confused:

10% of true speed.....

Trouble is maso ... You may have used up that allowance at an indicated 30 mph !! ( perhaps the motor had a larger diameter set of wheels ? )
Police allowance on speed limits used to be 10% plus 2 mph, don't know if that is still the rule of thumb.

On the other hand ........
Hansard Monday said:
..Speedometer Accuracy
Lord Allen of Abbeydale asked Her Majesty's Government:
Whether, in the light of the increasing importance of speed limits, they have any plans to make it easier for the private motorist to have his speedometer tested for accuracy.[HL839]
Lord Whitty: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers.
These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h.
In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied.
The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions. Her Majesty's Government have no plans to introduce instrument tests.
All that .. as long as something has not been changed on the car (which fits but is not the correct part) affecting the speedo reading ..
-------------------
Changing the tyres ?
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Check out the difference !
-------------------
http://www.speedycables.co.uk/
Mandeep said:
...Speedy cables will recalibrate your speedo and make up a little gearbox in the cable.
It cost me about £85 with a new cable for my split but I now have accurate readings.
Interesting .... OMY !!
:D :D

I admit that I was speeding but the fact that i did;nt know it was a 30 mph zone is my negligence and no excuse.I contacted a solicitor who said it is a grey area that i will recieve 2 seperate fines for 10:39 and 23 secs also for 10:39 and 57 secs :confused: as it is classed as a single journey and not going via anywhere he seems to think i could contest at least one of the tickets.the car is registered as disabled but i doubt if the judge will take that into account.obviousley 23 years with a clean licence will not make any difference either.any input THERMO.i'm quilty as charged but it seems to be about money not safety :evil:

Thermo said:
d & j, they shouldnt be parking where they are breaking the law. There is an exemption, but it is only applied in an emergency situation.

I saw an unmarked green Mondeo parked on the verge, facing against the traffic, on the outer edge of a roundabout yesterday. Facing towards a bit where the speed limit goes from 60mph down to 30. Coincidence? There is always the possibility they were waiting for a known car full of murderers and bank robbers, but there were also speed traps set up in several places along my way to work yesterday...

I thought about reporting it to the police as people up to no good. Well, there were two people inside wearing gang-colours, black and white. They also looked like they might be wearing body armour - a sure sign that they were up to no good. If they WERE police uniforms, surely they were impersonating the police, as the police wouldn't be parking illegally and stupidly without reason, surely? :rolleyes: It would be daft to conclude they were police on duty. ;)

And to add a touch of irony, when I got home there was a leaflet from the council saying about how they are tightening up the policing of parking restrictions by employing new parking attendants :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back