S Plan Hot water not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having problems with my heating system at the moment. I have heating working no issues whatsoever, I cant get hot water if I run on a schedule or even if I boost.

The System
Ideal Logic Plus System Boiler
Ideal Instinct H/W cylinder
Nest 3rd Generation Thermostat
Honey Normally Closed valve for the H/W
Drayton Valve for the Central heating

The Issue: I can only get hot water when the heating is on. Boost doesnt also work unless the heating is on.

Troubleshooting so far:
1. I have checked the Nest Heatlink is powered and the Relays are switching when water is called
2. I have done a continuity test and can see there is power switching on the Nest Heatlink to call for heat
3. I wired the Cyclinder stat to the heating, to see whether it turns off/on when I change the temperature - This works and rules out the stat
4. I wired the water circuit to the Nest heating circuit, put the temperature up and found hot water going to the cylinder
5. I wired the Heating circuit to the Nest heating water circuit, put the boost on and found the central heating coming on
5. I also tested a spare Nest thermostat & Heatlink with the same results
6. I checked the valve for the hot water opens and closes and also hear is moving when the hot water is set on the Nest
7. I wired up the Nest heatlink directly to the switched live for the heating and this didnt fire up the boiler

Now going through the points of potential failure, Im confident the Nest is working, the cylinder stat is working, the valve seems to be working so im at a loss as to why the system is not working, any ideas would be much appreciated. Below is a diagram that I used.

1712250045956.png

Sponsored Links
So you are supplying 230V to the common terminal 10? and the boiler wont/fire, are you sure there is 230V present?, saw this in another post where the HW was disabled but as the HW valve is opened then hardly the problem?,

1712250994850.png

So you are supplying 230V to the common terminal 10? and the boiler wont/fire, are you sure there is 230V present?, saw this in another post where the HW was disabled but as the HW valve is opened then hardly the problem?,

View attachment 339155
Hi JohmThea5, what terminal 10 are you referring to? to the wiring center?

The only terminal thats marked 10!, normally, in a S plan if any motorised vale is requested open, its end switch then puts 230V to start the boiler, where "switched live supply to boiler" is written.

Sponsored Links
I’d say an issue with the Honeywell actuator - replace motor or head accordingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back