Saddam's Trial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed some interesting parallels:

1) Charles I was a king who believed in the divine right of the monarch, and was in favour of being an autocrat.
Saddam Hussein was a dictator who believes he got to where he is by the will of god, and actually was an autocrat.

2) In 1649 they passed an act of parliament and brought about the High Court, especially for Charles I's trial.
In 2005 they've created a Special Court to try Saddam Hussein.

3) In his trial, Charles I said "The King cannot be tried by any superior jurisdiction on Earth" and refused to acknowledge the jurisdiction of the High Court.
Saddam has said "I don't answer this so-called court, with all due respect. And I reserve my constitutional right as the president of the country of Iraq, I will not go along"

Now, perhaps this is just what happens when there is a corrupt leader (Charles I is hardly the highpoint of our monarchal tradition)?

But I'm sure Saddam won't be particularly happy to learn what the sentence was in King Chuck's trial :eek:

Sponsored Links
considering the influence on this court of great Britain, do you think that we should be accepting of a death penalty ?.

I dunno... to be honest I think everything would have been much easier if they had said SH had a gun and they had chucked a grenade in his foxhole.

I really don't think we can't win. If he gets the death penalty then it will be seen as hypocracy by the British legal system.

If he is given a life sentence, then it will be seen as us having meddled in the Iraqi legal system and imposing our own wishes.

If he is sent into exile then there is the danger he could have influence as a leader still.

george bush should also be on trial and treat like a terrorist

Sponsored Links
Well hows about they reinstate him :eek: put him back in power, he's the only person that can bring law and order back into the country, we all go home, phut!

Hmmm, yeh, and as soon as the last British plane is over the horizon what would he do? Round up and execute every person he believes to have gone against him.

For chrissakes, less than a week after coming to power he had anyone in his party who might disagree with him taken outside and shot! Even Thatcher wouldn't have done that!

Saddam's career started off with promise. He did do some great things for Iraq in the 70s. Unfortunately as soon as he came to power he became corrupt and power mad. Of course by becoming like this he CREATED the revolutionary uprisings that he sought to crush left right and centre.

The guy is a megalomaniac, and has killed god knows how many people to retain his power.

Some people might say "But we gave him support back in the 80s! It's our fault!". No. We supported him because he appeared to be forging a secular, modernised arab state with a decent and fair legal system, proper social services, hospitals etc. We thought he was great. We supported him because he was at war with a theocracy that sought to overthrow his west-like plans. At the time, THAT was the best idea.

However now we know better. So he should not be allowed to return to power.

Lawyer for Saddam's henchman kidnapped by mystery gunmen .... Blimey, ODPM takes control of situation .... ;) :D Doh, wrong man !!

AdamW said:
For chrissakes, less than a week after coming to power he had anyone in his party who might disagree with him taken outside and shot! Even Thatcher wouldn't have done that!
tell that to the ex staff at thames television! Alright not exactly shot dead but as good as.

Who cares, it's their country, their genocidal maniac and he has already been convicted..the trial is all show so that when he is hung, shot or whatever they can sleep in their beds at night happy in the thought that he had a fair trial and it was all above board.

Personally I would simply shoot the ****er and his entire genetically screwed, inbred family of scumbags..

Big_Spark said:
Personally I would simply shoot the **** and his entire genetically screwed, inbred family of scumbags..

Perhaps they would feel the same way about you? ;)

there is no such thing as a fair trial

no one in the uk or usa has the right to tell him what to do

there was footage on the news where SH said george bush santions murder whene he signed the death warrants whene he was the texa governor

? there is no difference to what SH done we are too pc in this country

shoot the f***** and be done with it lets drop this cr** about fair trials there is no such thing

All about power Sloggo, these people are at the top of the pile make no mistake ... Wealth then Power, both ultimately corrupting.
But, when they look for the final time into the rifled orifice ... They would not even mind swapping life with a decorator on Steep Holme... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back